News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Bug: Double booked departure slot.

Started by DrSuperGood, January 22, 2018, 01:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

Some ship lines seem prone to double booking departure slots. This means that 2 ships end up with the same departure time so leave immediately. Since they both load at the same time, one usually leaves empty. This is not very good as it has a negative effect on line service regularity as well as individual convoy profit (some run hugely into the red).

I have no theories as to the cause. It is not loading time related as a 1:30 hour max load time convoy type double booked a departure slot for ~3-4 hours time (more than enough to load) with another convoy of the same configuration on the same line.

I see it most on the server with the line "BUG: Double booked time slots" of "Far East Company".

Attached is an extract from an in game screenshot proving the existence of this bug.

jamespetts

May I ask whether this is new behaviour since the fix of the other departure slot bug?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

QuoteMay I ask whether this is new behaviour since the fix of the other departure slot bug?
I honestly do not know. I have only noticed this recently but this line has just been upgraded and is probably the highest service frequency of that type of ship.

I have noticed it with bigger East Indianman ships on other player lines for the last few days. But I cannot tell if that is the old loading time problem or not as I have not really paid much attention to it.

Seeing how it seems at least 2 convoys on that line are in that state I hope it should be predictable enough to debug.

jamespetts

I am looking at this now, but I cannot find a way of reproducing this within a reasonable time. The real trouble with using the game on the server as a reference for reproducing the bug is that the point in time at which I will download it is uncertain, and therefore reproducibility is uncertain. The ship on that line that was nearest to arriving to any dock was still a long time away from it - even fast forwarded (at 1.66x in my debug build), it would have taken a very, very long time in real time to reach its destination.

I am afraid that I do not have time to spend many hours simply seeking to set up a scenario in which the bug can be reproduced reliably in a specific place within seconds of loading a saved game, as is necessary for debugging, as I need many times over to load the saved game and reproduce the exact occurrence so as to test initially for what the problem is, then test possible solutions until I find a working example.

Because setting up a reproducible scenario is extremely time consuming (especially with ships on a large map as here), because my time is extremely limited, because it is possible for the person reporting the bug to set up a reproducible scenario and because I can be spending the time that could in theory be spent setting up a reproducible scenario doing other work (whereas, usually at least, the person reporting the bug would not be able to do so), I always ask that a bug report be accompanied by a fully reproducible scenario.

I should therefore be grateful if you could upload a fully reproducible scenario, where the issue will occur at a specific place and at a specific point in time very shortly after loading the saved game.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

DrSuperGood

I tried to recreate it in a single player map but it just does not want to happen. Whatever that line is doing on the server is highly prone to causing it.

jamespetts

Quote from: DrSuperGood on January 24, 2018, 12:46:27 AM
I tried to recreate it in a single player map but it just does not want to happen. Whatever that line is doing on the server is highly prone to causing it.

If you can save a game from the server at a point a few seconds before this happens reliably to one specific convoy, that would suffice. Thank you for trying, however.