News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Debian Package Status

Started by antonm, September 20, 2008, 03:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonm

Hi, some time ago there was a Debian package for simutrans available, but not often updated. What is the status of Debian package now and where is it located? I have an idea of creating a package and pushing simutrans to Debian distribution. Why not?

ansgar

Simutrans is included in Debian Lenny.  See http://packages.debian.org/lenny/simutrans

Regards,
Ansgar

vilvoh

Does it include the graphics pak or it's only the binary?

EDIT: the graphics pak is in another package...simutrans-pak64 (100.0-1). Is there a pak128 package?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

ansgar

Quote from: vilvoh on September 20, 2008, 04:04:55 PM
Is there a pak128 package?

No, not yet.  I am waiting for an official release that supports 100.0, and am also hoping for the license change so that pak128 can be included in Debian main as well.

As Lenny is already close to being released, new packages won't be currently accepted for it anyway.  They only can go to unstable right now.

Regards,
Ansgar

antonm

Quote from: ansgar on September 20, 2008, 03:50:02 PM
Simutrans is included in Debian Lenny.  See http://packages.debian.org/lenny/simutrans

Cool! Thanks for the package. Waiting for 128 pack than.

VS

Next 128 may not come for a while, and the license change may take so long that for players it will seem like forever.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

Out of curiosity. Ansgar, have you tried to make packages for other Linux distros? you may use alien tool to convert deb packages into rpm packages...

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

ansgar

Quote from: vilvoh on September 20, 2008, 04:38:25 PM
Out of curiosity. Ansgar, have you tried to make packages for other Linux distros? you may use alien tool to convert deb packages into rpm packages...

No, I haven't.  I only use Debian and Ubuntu myself.

Just converting packages with alien is only a stopgap.  Different distributions handle some things differently (e.g. documentation, some paths for data, dependency information and other meta-data), so packages converted with alien probably won't make it into an official repository.

Regards,
Ansgar