News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Simuconf.tab alterations.

Started by HarrierST, November 17, 2017, 01:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrierST

If I change a setting in Simuconf.tab, does that apply the next time I load a save game or only at the initial new game start?

DrSuperGood

Only when starting new games.

To change game settings with a game in progress use the hidden "dialog_tool[27]" shortcut which brings up a fully functional settings dialog. Most paksets lack a mapping for this tool so one must be manually added. For example I often add...
Quotedialog_tool[27]=,~
To a pakset menuconf.tab so I can access the dialog by pressing the ~ key.

Why paksets do not map this as standard I do not know. It really is very useful.

This tool does not work with multiplayer games. To use on such games one must stop the server, load the save in single player, use the tool, save and restart the server.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on November 17, 2017, 04:15:18 AM
Why paksets do not map this as standard I do not know. It really is very useful.

I think most pak sets pre-date this dialog. And the dialog is hardly more user friendly than the file itself. Some of the settings won't even affect an already running game no matter what.

And maybe som pak sets authors don't like players messing with their the set-up. simuconf.tab, and therefore the dialog, is a mess of settings where some are inherently for the player (hide_keyboard, straight_way_without_control) while others are inherently for the pak set author (diagonal_multiplier, city_road).

gauthier

I think that, as it is still a "hidden" feature, experimented players should be able to get to this. So I just mapped it in pak128 and it will be in the next release.

prissi

The proper place would be the landscape editor.

And you can only edit some things, a few more things will work after saving and reloading, and some things will not be affected at all, and some things will leave a broken game after saving and reloading. That is, why I did not enable it for pak64.

Another way would be coding a safe and useful setting dialoge into the game, and just show this instead.