News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Out of range error

Started by accord2, February 11, 2017, 02:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

The is making the game unplayable. Some vehicles in some lines get the "out of range of 24kms by 1km" error, even if the distance between the current and next stop is under the 24 kms limit. If I edit their schedule, removing the "go to depot" and selecting the next stop, they can get there just fine, but it is making me spend too much time edit every single vehicle's schedule.
I am playing in the version Simutrans-Experimental_170205_0295b55.exe   2017-02-08 in the year 0f 1753.
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

jamespetts

I should be grateful if you could upload a saved game in which this issue can reliably be reproduced so that I can track down the problem and try to fix it. Thank you for your report.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

accord2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wt3qu9vb71kb447/out%20of%20range%20error.sve?dl=0
It happens in several lines, but it happens mainly at Swanden city, with the book line.
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

zook2

I just found a related problem: I saw two carriages approaching a town, both empty, with the town being the last stop in their mirrored schedule, and manually sent one of them to the first stop instead. Which is a town more than 30km away, and also where the nearest depot is located. That resulted in an error message about range limits, and another about "couldn't find a depot". The convoy teleported to the depot anyway, but lost the schedule.

jamespetts

Quote from: zook2 on April 06, 2017, 10:06:58 PM
I just found a related problem: I saw two carriages approaching a town, both empty, with the town being the last stop in their mirrored schedule, and manually sent one of them to the first stop instead. Which is a town more than 30km away, and also where the nearest depot is located. That resulted in an error message about range limits, and another about "couldn't find a depot". The convoy teleported to the depot anyway, but lost the schedule.

It is not immediately obvious what else ought to happen in such a situation: the first stop is out of range, so it should not be able to travel to it without stopping, and likewise the depot. The teleporting was to prevent blockages in games left unattended for a time, such as online network games, and it is difficult to see what else can be done in this situation.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

zook2

Since it affects only the rare manual orders, you could either allow it or send a message telling the player that it can't be done.

jamespetts

The latter is already a feature, is it not?