News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

[patch] automatic orientation of station buildings

Started by Dwachs, May 21, 2010, 10:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

Normally, complex station buildings (layouts>=8) (Dims=1,1,16) have to be build from back to front to get the orientation of the station tiles right.

This patch fixes the original algorithm: now one can build also from front to back. This works best for double tracks.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

Dwachs

Yes, you are right. In fact, the patch is only for buildings with Dims=1,1,16   :::)

kierongreen

Original intention was that by building it one direction or another you could tweak stations to have island or side platforms, dunno if patch changes that?

Dwachs

The Hood

Dwachs, please keep the original behaviour.  It is good to be able to build either island platforms or opposite platforms at present.  At present you can easily build either, depending on where you first click the station; having this choice is a good thing IMO. 

gauthier

is it possible, as I purposed twice months ago, to select the orientation of a station ? I saw many times ago a patch for that but it wasn't included :(
Is it possible at least to have the choice of activate or not the human selection/automatic selection ?

I think human selection would be great to avoid making many buildings juste for one thing.

skreyola

Quote from: gauthier on May 22, 2010, 02:42:13 PM
is it possible, as I purposed twice months ago, to select the orientation of a station ? I saw many times ago a patch for that but it wasn't included :(
Is it possible at least to have the choice of activate or not the human selection/automatic selection ?

I think human selection would be great to avoid making many buildings juste for one thing.
:support:
I recently had a station build 'wrong' based on how I wanted it done, and I couldn't figure out what went wrong and didn't have the extra money to bulldoze and redo it. I often wish for a manual orientation selector.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Fabio

Gosh, I stumbled on this old patch... Is it dead for good?

Honestly, this back-to-front behaviour is hard to guess and anyway it can be learnt only by trials and mistakes, which might be rather frustrating for new players.

I could suggest the following:

- build always default platforms (opposite, in most cases)
- CTRL reverses the order (island, in most cases)

This would be easier for newbies, and could give experienced users a finer control on the layout they want to give to their stations.

(I could also think e.g. of unidirectional bus/tram stops: coded with 16 orientations they could be built on the near sidewalk clicking normally and on the far sidewalk ctrl+clicking...

VS

Ctrl+click = build lower level on higher, already.

Daily dose of randomness: We need more Ctrl keys in Simutrans. Solution - custom extension keyboards with all the Simu-keys.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Quote from: VS on June 06, 2012, 11:47:51 AM
Ctrl+click = build lower level on higher, already.

Wow! I knew it was proposed, but I didn't know it has been incorporated!

Well, in this case SHIFT could be as good as it gets...

wlindley

Wow!  It was never clear from any of the documentation that it was always the "back" part of the station that got built first.  Everything I ever have seen, says that it had something to do with the odd-or-even-ness of the tile coordinate.  I assumed that I was stuck with the "wrong" versions depending on where my station happened to be.  But now that I test it, yes, if you start a new station, always the "back" part gets built first., no matter where the station is.

Perhaps we could simply document this?

Fabio

Well, documenting would be indeed good, but still I would prefer a much more fine grained way to choose which rotation I want to build.

kierongreen

Try building on diagonals to bypass checks... Whether a station is island or side platform layout is an option for more advanced players, it doesn't make a difference to gameplay so is not something to clutter up the interface with to confuse new players.

Fabio

True, but stations might have a double roof, so they should have a default layout, lest if you build them e.g. front to back the roof will look silly. Then the initial idea of the patch was a good one: always build default layout (e.g. A always back, B always front) unless you press a hidden modifier, like shift.