News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Bug? Kicked out of server game concurrent with many convoy errors

Started by AP, December 18, 2017, 08:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hi James - as requested:

Within the last 10-15 minutes, whilst both Ves and I were online, I was building a line on the server, lauched lots of ships onto it, only for them to discover I had a bit of canal which was too small for them. This caused me to get bombarded with 20 or so errors from each ship announcing "no route!".

Within a few seconds of this happening, both Ves and I were kicked out of the server game. It didn't crash, and we could get back in, but it did it to me a second time, before I could find and fix the problem.

I can't conclusively say the messages caused the issue, but there wasn't anything else happening at the time, and the server games haven't been noted for kicking players lately.

jamespetts

May I ask - what is the name of your company? Also, which specific convoys demonstrate this issue?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Company name "Imperial Lines" on the Bridgewater Server.

It was the Brig with 3x cabins then 3x steerage holds then 1x mail hold (my standard mix at the moment).

Edit: correction of server name.

jamespetts

I have not been able to reproduce the excessive error messages, but I have identified and now fixed on Github an error relating to tall ships and low bridges, which might have caused a crash in some cases. The Grand Union Canal through which these ships are routed has a low bridge over the canal. This will need to be replaced with a 2 tile high bridge to allow the tall sailing ships to pass underneath it (the bug allowed them to pass underneath correctly on some occasions, but the behaviour may have been inconsistent).

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

How does one force a bridge to build tall? I thought by bridging over the canal it would be so by default.

jamespetts

Hold down CTRL when building the bridge. It will only build tall by default when the underlying way is a public right of way.

jamespetts

Quote from: zook2 on December 18, 2017, 09:47:59 PM
Message spam with ships and no route sounds like this one:
https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=17634.0

It has the superficial similarity relating to the messages, but the other issue was fixed and related to a different type of message. As noted, I have not been able to reproduce more than one "no route" message per ship, and could only reproduce those after fixing the bug that allowed the tall sailing ships to pass under a low bridge.

AP

For clarity,  I think it was only 'one message per ship' ; there were just a lot of ships...

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on December 19, 2017, 07:45:01 AM
For clarity,  I think it was only 'one message per ship' ; there were just a lot of ships...

In that case, there is no issue with the messages, as one message per convoy is the intended behaviour.