News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Newden Oil - large station

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, June 11, 2014, 05:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

So, on this map, six heating stations popped up in close proximity, so I have a huge station that accepts all the oil and coal from the map and distributes to the six stations.

I've been experimenting with station ideas - I love trucks.

What I normally do is provide one truck stop per truck and use choose signs - so in case something happens and there is no product to be delivered, nothing gets stuck - there's a dedicated tile per truck.

But that always causes traffic jams.

So recently, I've toyed with "through" stations again. And the nice thing is - one dedicated stop per line plus enough road to hold the trucks means no choose signs and much less congestion. It does take up a lot of land - but bear in mind that there are 3-6 trucks per stop here, so the land you see would be needed anyway, and actually devoting tiles for each truck woudl be even larger than this!

I do wish I had elevated roads in this pak, though... then I could stack the lines. :)

Meanwhile, I had exits done alternatively - but it just occurred to me to do the bridges this way. The incoming traffic and outgoing traffic do not conflict - thus the tunnels - so no incoming trucks have to wait for outgoing trucks - but of course as the merge from the three incoming directions, two of them have to marge, but one doesn't. So there's not a whole lot of conflict and waiting/stops.

I also love this pak's station addons. There's an oil well hidden in all the addons - but it makes it look more organic to me, and like a large oil facility :)

So if it were up to me, I'd have:

1. Elevated ways
2. Fences
3. Truck through-stops

But either way, pak64.german is my current favorite pak. :)

http://ieh.im/i/191.png

EDIT: Actually, I just made it so there's no merges... since I have the lines for the heating stations starting at the right as #1 and going to #6 on the left...

Stations #1-#3 are off to the east (to the right on the screen) - station #4 is to the north (top right) - it makes sense on the larger map, I promise...

So I realized how to connect the incoming #4 trucks to the station so they didn't have to merge with #1-#3. Then I added a bridge for the main highway - which is just for show since vehicles will route around it... but still:

http://ieh.im/i/193.png

So now the traffic flows even better :)

prissi

There should be truck trough stops too.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Oh, good grief. I assumed those were all terminal stops.............

Thank you. lol.