News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Standard savegame (without gameplay) in Experimental: will it blend?

Started by Bear789, May 04, 2014, 01:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear789

Hi! I finally got around finishing the grayscale of my rendition of the Island Nation map, I'm ready to start actually making it in the game - I want to manually place rivers, cities, starting attractions, intercity roads and starting industries.
I'd really like to play this in Experimental, but I made the grayscale map for the new half height feature in the Standard nightlies, which I understand won't be in Experimental untill we get a new stable Standard release and that is merged with Exp.
Will it work if I start making the map in Standard (again, only hand placing of map features, no actual gameplay, no lines set up, etc.) and then load it in Experimental when it will be ready or I'd better wait? I expect it'll be a huge job to get the map finished, I don't want to waste hours for nothing.

jamespetts

It is possible to create the map in Standard and load it into Experimental, but this is suboptimal: if the map is created in the next released version of Experimental, it will be initialised properly for Experimental with, for example, things such as public rights of way which would not be set on creating the map in Standard.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Bear789

That was fast!
Thank you, I think I'll wait for the new release. Any ETA for that, even approximative?

jamespetts

It is very difficult to judge, as there is no way of telling in advance how long that each coding project will take, and it is difficult to know at this stage even how many projects that there will need to be.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

YOu can also save a map in standard for the previous version, which should be loadable in experimental right now.

Bear789

I know, but I especially remade the grayscale to include landscape features from the half height feature like lakes in the mountains above sea level, so loading it in an older version would kinda defeat the purpose of the work I've done.

I'll wait for the new one. Or if it takes too long, I'll play it in Standard.