News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Huge Maps

Started by Anime, June 30, 2009, 09:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anime

I was just reading the topic 'how do you organize your network' and I saw that some people had ridiciously big maps (f.e 2000*1000)  with 50 villages. How do you deal with those maps?
Do you connect all the cities or do you connect them in pieces (the first 3 years focus on a group of cities and then focus on another group etc) and with how much capital do you start?

Anime :p

Combuijs

I've got a map now of 1792x1792. I did start with 0 cities, and I'm gradually filling it in. I don't mind the starting capital, I'm playing free mode. The challenge for me is to connect everything with everything. At one point you tend to make huge profit and in the end you will always have positive cash. But that's not the important thing, it's just solving the transportation problems that makes the challenge.

You see, everyone is playing Simutrans in his own way. That's why it is such a nice game.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Anime

If you start with 0 cities, will they just pop up then?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

No, but you can build them for $5,000,000 -- or switch to public player and look at the special menus :)

helifino

In my good game, I started with a 128x128 map, then once I got everything working well in there, I enlarged the map (under Special Construction) and did it again...  And so on...

Colin

Quote from: Anime on June 30, 2009, 09:26:29 AM
I was just reading the topic 'how do you organize your network' and I saw that some people had ridiciously big maps (f.e 2000*1000)  with 50 villages. How do you deal with those maps?
Do you connect all the cities or do you connect them in pieces (the first 3 years focus on a group of cities and then focus on another group etc) and with how much capital do you start?

Anime :p

You can always look at my SVE on the Simutrans upload/download site. That shows connections to several large cities plus a few goods transport lines. There are many more cities on this map that remain to be connected. I'm still working on it, but it's slowing down as it grows.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

PlayTrans2009

Adding cities is fun! So as growing a city!  ;D

I'm using pak96.comic and pak128.Britain. Mostly pak96.comic.
"More money means lesser friendship." Reason: Selfish.

jellyman

I like playing maps around 1024 x 1024 or so.  Generally I start by hooking up the easier freight to get a financial base.  To start on passengers I focus on the fact that a small but significant proportion of passengers want to go to a local industry.  Ideal is a large city with few industries (more industries just spreads the passengers thinner).  Generally I always expand from one point and keep all my passenger routes connected.  A combined network will have several times as much traffic as separate networks with the same total size.  I sometimes make an exception if there are a couple very good cities for passenger to industry traffic that are hard to connect, but I will still make connecting the cities a high priority.