News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Brainstorming - ideas for future SMSC editions

Started by vilvoh, October 28, 2010, 09:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

We usually don't plan editions in summer, due to the low participation, and this year we also had the Graphics contest so we decided not to mix them in the same month. We'll be back in September, don't worry ;)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

moblet

Crazy factory placements. E.g. in a current online multiplayer game, one player has built a grand airport only to have a glass factory appear enclosed by his taxiways, while I've had a cotton plantation spring up in the middle of a railyard.

Václav

Quote from: moblet on August 01, 2011, 08:43:04 AM
Crazy factory placements. E.g. in a current online multiplayer game, one player has built a grand airport only to have a glass factory appear enclosed by his taxiways, while I've had a cotton plantation spring up in the middle of a railyard.
... I suggest to change it a little - to crazy stations. But else it is surely good idea.

Quote from: vilvoh on July 19, 2011, 10:40:40 PM
We usually don't plan editions in summer, due to the low participation, and this year we also had the Graphics contest so we decided not to mix them in the same month. We'll be back in September, don't worry ;)
Of course.

-->
And one more idea: merged cities

-->
and another idea: crazy trains
- trains with too different cars, waggons
- trains assembled from locomotive and such cars that it does not make sense (locomotive + DMU)

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

buskind

Serious:
- parks in cities
- huge crossing of tracks
- airports and their layout
- melted cities

Funny:
- traffic jams on streets, tracks and in the air
- very complex stations

vilvoh

What do you exactly mean with melted cities, buskind?

Václav

I think that he think the same to me - two or more cities merged into one (and in this way I beg you for accepting my apology that I did not write what that my idea means).

buskind

QuoteI think that he think the same to me - two or more cities merged into one

Exactly. I mean megacities, which grew together or "merged into one".
Maybe there are problems with the zoom factor. In the case of very large cities, you haven't the possibility to show it all.
Otherwise, you could only show areas with stations used by two or more cities between them...

Václav

Quote from: buskind on August 29, 2011, 12:46:00 PM
- parks in cities
It would be interesting - but I am worried about that variety of parks is very limited and most people don't control towns so much.

- huge crossing of tracks
This had been used in some ways - but as part of else topics

- airports and their layout
Airports had already been used - in June of 2010 (and I think that it is too early after previous using)

- traffic jams on streets, tracks and in the air
Jams on streets had already been used - in February of 2011.
But jams on tracks had not been used - but I am not sure with jams in the air.

- very complex stations
Yes, I support it - stations had already been used some times - but not in this way.

---
Here you can see history of SMSC.

sdog

Station beautification: Using parks, monuments, station extensions, different way types etc to have a good looking station with a good looking surrounding, representative main entrance or something like that. Use of public player allowed, and encouraged.

Václav

Yes, it may be very interesting.

I suggest for that round that addon extension would be included into pakset from what screenshot will be - of course that if author of screenshot will be also author of addon - or if author of addon is known (may be found) and willing to publish sources for that addon.

It means it would be a little challenge for SRGC. I hope that you, sdog, will not be against it.

sdog

i don't see any interference.
In my view SRGC and SMSC are there as an incentive for creativity in regards to simutrans.

jamespetts

One possible idea for a future contest: cuttings and embankments.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

vilvoh

A couple of new topics, inspired in videos I've found:

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Both of those are spectacular. I'm amazed at how much bare countryside is in the first one!

And the Panama Canal is amazing, that timelapse is great. :)

dimdim07

Hi! I'm a newbie. I just want to say that I'm very entertained with your discussion. Keep it up!  ;D

Václav

... and I would like to suggest comic stations. I don't mean stations built in any comic styled pakset or even extensions that have any comic element in own construction. I mean stations with some comic elements in whole construction - like disharmony in extension buildings. For example one historical building inside many modern ones. I think this may be (simetimes) very comic - unless it is very disgusting in some cases.

once historical building corrected to one historical building

sojo

Some ideas. Duplicate responses not excluded. ;)

- Tramway Networks
- Big Harbour
- most beautiful seaside
- most beautiful map
- country roads (to nowhere)
- country roads without make slopes
- heavy industries
- most famous attractions
- 19. century
- monorail crossing road or rail
- big cities
- very small villiages with farmland
- japanese towns
- english towns
- american towns
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

IgorEliezer

Mountains
Valleys
And both.

(I misspelled? No translator here to check my writing :> )

An_dz

More suggestions:
Farms landscapes
Big Cities parks (like Central Park or any other park rounded by high skyscrapers)

Quote from: IgorEliezer on February 15, 2012, 03:00:22 PM
(I misspelled? No translator here to check my writing :> )
Nope.

dom700

My ideas for contests:

- Your famous simutrans exploit
- Tidy town
- Weird connections
- Bad designs

vilvoh

What do you exactly mean with Simutrans exploit? could you give us some examples?

dom700

You know, simutrans bugs that cause no real harm, instead helping the player. My favourite examples would be the tunnel above the ground level (which has been fixed imho) or the monorail from pak64, which can have fast bridges longer than supposed to be possible. I guess you got the idea ;)
Just thought Id add this, because the tunnel bug for instance looks quite funny on screenshots.

isidoro

The topic would be something about difficult terrain and engineering work to overcome it.

Here is an example image from the game I'm playing with Pak128.Britain and heavy use of Public Service.  And the story: "River Therte is a tributary of River Canterflow (a.k.a. River Waterbourne).  Near its source, the terrain is pretty sheer, with big mountains and deep valleys.  Since the Meyer Moving Company made big bucks having complete monopoly of passenger and cargo transportation in that province, the Public Service sort of compel it to build the very difficult line between Telford and Newqay, both villages below 1500 inhabitants.  The line would be a loss from the beginning, but it is common knowledge in Thyrgland that the Prime Minister's mother-in-law is from Telford and he wants a quick communication, specially to Telford.  Both villages are at the same height and the Meyer took it as a challenge to build a level direct railway, with no turns or slopes.  The viaduct over River Therte is what appears in the photograph."

Roads

Good idea and good story.  Gotta keep those mothers-in-law happy. :)

vilvoh

I like the topic, but I would rename it as civil engineering.

AP

how about some more dynamic ideas:

- overtaking
- planes, trains, and automobiles
- its quicker by rail
- gridlock

- evolution (e.g. a triptych of images each a few decades apart, showing *something* evolving, growing or dwindling.

isidoro

@Roads: thanks.

@Vilvoh: ok, civil engineering is nice

@whoever: thanks for moving the topic here.  I started a new one following the last month's example: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9669.0

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

IgorEliezer

Urban Planning/Development: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_planning
Networks (since "YAY! New Map Window")
Urban Parks and Public Areas
Forests and Protected sites
Malls, Pedestrian-only Lanes
Harbors
Urban waterfronts (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Madero)

Sybill

We had a lot of skyscrapers in the last editions, it would be nice to have something about old cities (before 1900) with only horse carriages and steam vehicles.

ӔO

How about 'Bad urban planning'? Terribly complex to get from A to B and lots of traffic to boot.
'Delivery to the middle of nowhere', featuring a truck in a desolate area.
'Snow and mud', something you might see during the spring thaw.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Fabio

Construction sites: upgrading one track railways to double track, simple roads to motorways and so on, showing part of the infrastructure already upgraded and part only planned...

Spacethingy

May have been mentioned, but how about Canals Engineering?
There's a very impressive one on the pak64 server at the moment!
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

jamespetts

Quote from: Spacethingy on June 17, 2012, 02:17:33 PM
May have been mentioned, but how about Canals Engineering?
There's a very impressive one on the pak64 server at the moment!

I second this idea, actually: canals are a somewhat neglected aspect of Simutrans.

vilvoh

As james said, the problem with canals is that not all paksets have that feature created, but we can try a edition with that topic.