News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Pak.German - Ships in year 1881 - append and cost observations

Started by Severous, July 31, 2009, 02:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severous

Hello

I am using ships on the river Rhine.  I have been using a paddle steamer for passengers.  

Ive been waiting for a mail carrying ship and on 1 Jan 1881 a Post-Dampfer_2 became available.  With a name starting with 'Post' I thought it must be mail related.  But my hopes sunk when I looked at it in the depot. Only 26 passengers.  And worse..like the earlier and inefficient Dampfer (very high running costs) it also seems to have half its graphic missing.  Something seemed to be missing that we should append to the back of the boat.

I tried it anyway and to my pleasant surprise I see the new Post-Dampfer_2 does indeed take mail. That got me to try for the first time the Dampfer..and that too has mail capacity. The running cost of these Dampfer ships is higher than stated in the depot..it must be the extra cost of the invisible post capacity that is appended to the back.

Can I suggest:
- The depot has a graphic image for the mail carrying capacity. Something like the envelope icon that is used in pak128 when adding mail capacity to ferries.

- The running cost of the first Dampfer is too high?

- The purchase cost of the Paddlesteamer is too low. €20,000 would be better perhaps?
Regards
Sev.

Dwachs

Quote from: Severous on July 31, 2009, 02:06:41 PM
- The depot has a graphic image for the mail carrying capacity. Something like the envelope icon that is used in pak128 when adding mail capacity to ferries.
The depot automatically appends some parts to a vehicle, which the player would have to add anyways. So in your case, would it suffice, if the depot shows the capacity of the whole automatically created compound?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

The Hood

Showing stats of automatically added vehicles combined as a set would be quite helpful in generatl I think...

Severous

Thank you for the replies.

My reaction to seeing an incomplete vehicle in the depot was to assume the 'other half' was not yet available in the timeline. So I hadn't even tried to start it until today.  Only when started did the other [invisible] half get automatically added.  I'm a little annoyed with myself for not trying earlier to launch an incomplete ship...just didn't seem the thing to do.

Showing the capacity of the whole would have encouraged me to try earlier as I have wanted river post transport for a few years.

Seeing 'mail' icon of any kind in the depot as the other half I could add would have been more consistent with how we build other vehicles.  Its the first time I've come across invisible other halves of vehicles.  Not a widespread feature I assume.
Regards
Sev.