News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

City Goods and Mail

Started by nopeftw, February 24, 2014, 07:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nopeftw

So I have (finally) got a good game going in Pak64, but I have some questions about town goods. First of all, do town factories produce goods? I see that in the town info that there is a goods graph option, and it gives a value of a few thousand or so. Do I need to transport this, or is this from the standard industries, like the power plant, coal mine, etc. that are nearby? Second, how do you make money transporting mail? I have three or four large towns hooked up to a mail service, but at the most, one of the stops produce two or three units of mail, and the others produce little or no mail. Do I need to link up to more towns, or wait for them to grow even more?

Ters

Town industries in pak64 tend to be consumers of goods (market, supermarket, pharmacy, gas station). Only brewery produces, but needs to consume to do so. Goods can only be transported between industries that have a "contract", so check their information windows to see which industries they buy/sell goods from/to. Click the small triangle to go to the other industry.

Mail is a bit lower than passengers, at least for normal city buildings. Factories are supposed to be more into mail, so try to include them in your mail network as well. But I generally wait until I've got a steady network of a few interconnected cities going before I get into the mail business. Both passengers and mail grows exponentially the more stops you connect. Attractions scattered about, both inside and outside cities, might be popular destinations for passengers and mail, as are factories (factories are tied to nearby cities for passengers and mail, check the information window).

nopeftw

I figured out the mail part myself just after my post, but the other bit I had no idea about. When do these businesses appear? My game is in about 1960 using pak64.

Ters

Some industries should be present when you start the map, though not all cities will have one (depends on how many industries you created the map with). More industries will appear as cities grow.