News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Revenue calculation method?

Started by V813, May 01, 2012, 10:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V813

Hi,

I haven't played Simutrans for quite a while. In the last version I played, the revenue of carrying passengers/mail/goods is calculated based on either one of these three (the player has the choice):

0 (default): distance between current station and previous station
1: how much closer I have brought my passenger to the next interchange
2: how much closer I have brought my passenger to the final destination

Has the revenue calculation changed since then? Thanks :)
V813
Simutrans newbie.

Combuijs

Welcome back then!

These options have not been changed. I don't know how long you were away, but two things have been changed in the revenue calculation:

1) There is a configurable lower limit percentage of speedbonus income (standard 12,5%)

# lowest possible income with speedbonus (1000=1) default 125
bonus_basefactor = 125

2) In calculating the speedbonus, not only the maximum speed of the vehicles is considered, but also the maximum speed of the track

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Zeno

I'm not sure that these choices remain untouched, but I think so. What has changed for sure (which affects all of them) is the bonus speed calculation, as Combuijs says. IIRC the speed considered for the bonus calculation is the real average speed of each trip instead of the maximum (vehicle or track).

You can review the latests changelogs (it changed not long ago) or just search it in the forum to get more details.

Julia

Just thinking about this one myself. With option 0, I presume this means that if I have a C-shaped line:

A--------B
|           |
|           |
D--------C

that a passenger who turns up at A heading for D earns me more if I take him A-B-C-D than directly? (I'm just wondering if building A-D will lose me revenue in total)

So a follow-on question: I have too many passengers arriving at A for my A-B-C-D trains to cope and I'm thinking of introducing an A-D service. Will my passenger for D get on the first train that arrives that has space for him, or will he decide that the A-D train is "better" and let an A-B-C-D train go past? (In the former case, putting on a little A-D capacity to prevent overcrowding will still let my large A-B-C-D trains leave full)

Zeno

Passengers will take the route that has less jumps (between different lines) and less stops. I guess that means they'd rather use A-D instead of the touristic A-B-C-D route through the whole city ;)

TurfIt

Quote from: Julia on August 27, 2012, 10:31:00 AM
With option 0 ... that a passenger who turns up at A heading for D earns me more if I take him A-B-C-D than directly?
Yes. Which is obviously exploitable, hence why the other options exist.

Quote from: Julia on August 27, 2012, 10:31:00 AM
So a follow-on question: I have too many passengers arriving at A for my A-B-C-D trains to cope and I'm thinking of introducing an A-D service. Will my passenger for D get on the first train that arrives that has space for him, or will he decide that the A-D train is "better" and let an A-B-C-D train go past?
Yes. They'll get on the first train that arrives heading to their destination/next transfer. What they won't do is get on a train to B or C and then transfer to a second train to D if a direct A-D route exists. And for the A-B-C-D train, at A, passengers for B board first, followed by those for C, and finally D. This way when the express A-D arrives at A, there's more likely to be passengers waiting for it.