News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Simutrans now crashes when run under Wine in Linux

Started by Jando, January 15, 2018, 10:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jando

Only thought I should mention it, probably not a big deal, I doubt many players will have that problem.

I was used to run Simutrans Extended under Wine (Windows Emulator) on an older Linux 32-bit PC, worked great! Since the newest nightly version of Simutrans Extended however Wine cannot run Simutrans any more. Game crashes during startup after reading paks and loading maps, I reckon when trying to switch from the black screen with progress bar to the demo map default.sve. I assume some hardware or graphic driver mechanic has changed.

Thus for the time being I'm probably out. No big deal too, I was thinking about getting a new PC anyway. :)

jamespetts

There was a bug in the most recent nightly which caused crashes when loading maps containing aircraft, such as the demo map. If you do not want to wait until to-morrow's nightly build, which contains the fix to this issue, you might try temporarily deleting the demo map.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

Why run a game that can run natively on Linux in a Windows emulator?

jamespetts

I assume because there is no pre-compiled 32-bit Linux binary?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on January 15, 2018, 10:24:06 PM
I assume because there is no pre-compiled 32-bit Linux binary?

Aye, that was the reason. I'll be getting Linux 64-bit anyway with a new machine.

As to deleting default.sve, already tried that, same crash, that's why I assumed it may be a hardware/graphic driver issue.

DrSuperGood

Its a bug. I cannot load into the default save on Windows, but can load into the server game perfectly.

I did not even know Linux 32bit was still a thing. Prety much evey x86 processor for the last decade, or two, has supported x86-64. Since it is Linux I suggest self compiling a 32bit executable, downloading GCC should be trivial as it is a standard package and you should be well versed with the command line (it is Linux after all). One can use the pakset from the release as pakset data is platform independent.

Ves

Oh, I just made a topic about this right before discovering you have trouble too. :o
James, this sounds exactly like my issue.

Jando

Quote from: DrSuperGood on January 15, 2018, 10:53:52 PM
... I did not even know Linux 32bit was still a thing. Prety much evey x86 processor for the last decade, or two, has supported x86-64. ...

Yeah, it can run 64-bit Linux, I even have it installed on a separate partition, but performance for every-day things is better in 32-bit. 8 or 9 year old PC now, all what I need it for (text processing, browser, e-mail etc.) works fine and since Wine also ran Simutrans I never bothered to change. Time to get a new PC anyway.

DrSuperGood

Quotebut performance for every-day things is better in 32-bit
That does not really make sense. If anything every day things will perform better in 64bit builds due to the more efficient instruction set (more registers, bigger registers). The only thing slower with x86-64 is that memory pointers/references are 64bit aligned rather than 32bit aligned so memory density is reduced, however that should not be a problem for most applications.