News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Problem compiling using MinGW

Started by Milko, November 02, 2016, 03:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milko

Hello

Now I have problem compiling using MingW.

Problem with other compilers?

Giuseppe

Ves

I am not sure wether that error has anything to do with my patch (nerveusly looking at James....  ::'( )?

jamespetts

Giuseppe - sorry that you are having trouble. This error is indeed unrelated to Ves's patch. You need a more recent version of MinGW/GCC to compile this, I think, since I am using now the "thread_local" keyword, which is a new addition to C++ (relatively).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Milko

Thank's James

I will try to upgrade MingW.

Giuseppe

Ves

I noticed that I had made a typo in the previous version of the signal infowindow. I have fixed that and pushed in this commit: https://github.com/VictorErik/Simutrans-Experimental-Ves/commit/8739bbcf3f21a37185b1e7d7df461ec80c77d271
Also, some initial swedish translations (modifying the original swedish file) to the signal states to see that they works as intended.

Milko

Hello James

I update MingW. Now I'm able to build simutrans experimental, but Makefile need an update, James could you insert the line for me?:

CFLAGS +=  -std=gnu++11

I insert CFLAGS between
          LIBS    += -lmingw32
and
        endif
in the block:

# BeOS (obsolete)
  ifeq ($(OSTYPE),beos)
    LIBS += -lnet
  else
    ifneq ($(findstring $(OSTYPE), cygwin mingw),)
      ifeq ($(OSTYPE),cygwin)
        CFLAGS  += -I/usr/include/mingw -mwin32
      else
        ifeq ($(OSTYPE),mingw)
          CFLAGS  += -DPNG_STATIC -DZLIB_STATIC
          LDFLAGS += -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -Wl,--large-address-aware
          LIBS    += -lmingw32
        CFLAGS +=  -std=gnu++11
        endif
      endif
      SOURCES += simsys_w32_png.cc
      CFLAGS  += -DNOMINMAX -DWIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN -DWINVER=0x0501 -D_WIN32_IE=0x0500
      LIBS    += -lgdi32 -lwinmm -lws2_32 -limm32
      # Disable the console on Windows unless WIN32_CONSOLE is set or graphics are disabled
      ifneq ($(WIN32_CONSOLE),)
        LDFLAGS += -mconsole

Thanks.

I attach the makefile I'm using, the difference is only line CFLAGS +=  -std=gnu++11

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Thank you for that. I had added these specifications in config.default/config.template instead. Do you think that they need to be in the makefile instead?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Milko

Hello James

I think yes, but I need to try. Do you push the update?

Thanks

jamespetts

I have not done that yet; may I ask the reason that you think that it is necessary to have this in the makefile itself rather than config.default?

Milko

Hello James

In config.template, the line
FLAGS = -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -fno-strict-aliasing -std=gnu++11
work (without modifing makefile).

But attention, is -std=gnu++11, not -std=c++11

Giuseppe

jamespetts

I had already modified config.template to contain the line necessary to make it work (and it does work for me); did my modification not work for you? The config.template file thus modified should already be on Github.

Milko

Hello James

Quote from: jamespetts on January 07, 2017, 11:16:25 PM
I had already modified config.template to contain the line necessary to make it work (and it does work for me); did my modification not work for you? The config.template file thus modified should already be on Github.

I make new test.

I's ok to modifiy only config.template, but in this mode:

1)
FLAGS = -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -fno-strict-aliasing -std=c++11
does'nt work for me, but works the line below
FLAGS = -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -fno-strict-aliasing -std=gnu++11
Could you test if second line work for you?

2)
I have to comment:
#MULTI_THREAD = 1 # Enable multithreading

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Sorry that you are having difficulty. I have split this from the topic about Ves's patch, as it is unrelated to that.

Thank you for letting me know the issue with the gnu++11 rather than c++11: that was my error in config.template, I think: in my actual Linux compile, it is indeed set to gnu++11. I have decided to put this specification in the actual makefile after all to avoid any possible confusion with editing config.template.

Incidentally, what happens if you do not comment out MULTI_THREAD = 1? Multi-threading can make a significant difference to performance now (and a single-threaded build can no longer stay in sync with a multi-threaded server in Experimental).

Milko

Hello James

Actually (github 22/01/2017 version) I have this error and I'm unable to test. May be related to last modify to makeobj besch -> desc?

Giuseppe

jamespetts

My apologies for the error. I think that I have found and fixed the problem; would you be able to re-test?

Milko

Hello James

Now similar problem on other file: file export_desc.o

Giuseppe

jamespetts

My apologies for the difficulties. I think that I have fixed it now; would you be able to re-test?

Milko

Hello James

Now compile ok.

But using MULTI_THREAD = 1 # Enable multithreading problem I get an error (see the attach image).

Giuseppe

jamespetts

May I ask what version of MinGW that you are using?

Milko

Hello James

Fresh install 1 month ago.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

There are two different branches of MINGW, however, one of which is now very out of date and does not handle multi-threading very well; are you using the newer MINGW32?