News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

pak96.comic license. Why Freeware and not Open Source?

Started by vilvoh, June 20, 2010, 11:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

Some weeks ago, I uploaded a pak96.comic screenshot to the ES Simutrans article from the wikipedia. I didn't realized about it but somebody pointed out that it can't be included as pak96.comic is over freeware license (typical problems with wikipedia copyright policies, you know)

The point is that then I should remove it, and actually I don't mind, it's just an screenshot but I was wondering why the pak96.comic managers and artist decided to use such a license, instead of using GPL, CC or Artistic License like the rest of paksets. It's just curiosity...

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

mobo

Well everybody shall be allowed to use the set (freeware), but they don't want to open the sources, i think.

Don't know which license would fit to that.

----------------

I never stated anything about licenses for p32c, but i uploaded the sources some time ago (without announcing it too much), so what license would that be?

sojo

You can use, download and share pak96.comic for free. But for all modification and using in other projects you have to ask the author.

All from the team pak96.comic have the permission to change pictures and data. So we need no consent from the authors. All what is posted for pak96.comic will be used and the copyright keep the author.

The crucial point was that the author keep the copyright. But everyone is free to change the licence for his work.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

vilvoh

Quote from: mobo on June 20, 2010, 12:12:23 PM
I never stated anything about licenses for p32c, but i uploaded the sources some time ago (without announcing it too much), so what license would that be?

Hidden open source?... :D

This is the definition of freeware I've found

QuoteSoftware classified as freeware is normally fully functional for an unlimited time with no cost, monetary or otherwise. Freeware can be proprietary software available at zero price.[3] The author usually restricts one or more rights to copy, distribute, and make derivative works of the software.[4] The software license may impose restrictions on the type of use including personal use, individual use, non-profit use, non-commercial use, academic use, commercial use or any combination of these. For instance, the license may be "free for personal, non-commercial use".

As far as I've read, you're worried about a possible abuse, right? Anyway, why don't you try a less restrictive license that states explicitly you must mention the original author and you can't claim the copyright of derivative works, like let's say Creative Commons (just an example)? Actually, the sources of pak96.comic are not available yet, are they? thus does it have sense to use a restrictive license if the sources aren't public?

PS: You could also do the same as Simutrans, that uses Artistic License but extends it in some aspects like avoiding commercial use of the game for third parties.

PS2: although It may seem so, I'm not trying to force you to take a decission or to change anything. It's just another annoying discussion about licenses... :P

VS

Open source as a tool is good in some situations and not so much in others. It isn't an end in itself...

I think best is designing a whole set with one license in mind, from the beginning.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

sdog

an extremely important advantage of open source licenses in mod/game projects is that you can stop anytime without having a bad conscience for letting down your collaborators and users. They can just go one. It also allows your creation to stay alive, while you already abandoned it.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Just a reminder about past debates about licensing and their ability to go sour quickly...

Ultimately, it is the right of those who create to decide what license to use.

prissi

Wikipedia should not complain about freeware "licence": its free beer. Anything out under freeware is free, more free than GNU. Moreover the screenshot was taken with simutrans, thus a screenshot is rather artistic licence ... sigh

vilvoh

I agree with your point of view, but I don't know if they do as many times you have to go through their hoop to be accepted at Wikipedia (actually not you, but the stuff you upload there)

As I said, I just brought up this issue because I was curious about the possible pak96.comic future status, not so much by wikipedia license problems with the images.