News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[Devel-new-2] Game crashes when loading new map from large heightmap

Started by laos, December 28, 2016, 07:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laos

It appears trying to load new maps from large heightmaps on windows x86 is causing the game to crash during "initialising map"

Visual Basic is telling me "Unhandled exception at 0x004C17BD in Simutrans-Experimental.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000" though I am honestly not sure how helpful that information is about the memory.

I was able to duplicate this using the USA NE 3482x4032 heightmap

http://maps.simutrans.com/northamerica.html

I tried loading a smaller (2200x2548) version of the same heightmap and it successfully loaded. I also tested loading a different, even smalller heightmap (428x380) which worked fine.

The PC being used is quite powerful and has handled this heightmap with ease on the 2014 build of simutrans experimental x64. I have gotten it to load with 32bit too though it would occasionally crash in a situation similar to this.

jamespetts

Thank you very much for your report. I am currently staying away from home and do not have access to my usual development environment. I shall have to look into this crash when I get back home, in about the second week of January. Apologies that you are having trouble.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

Now that I am back home, I cannot reproduce this, I am afraid. Can you give more precise steps necessary to reproduce it?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

laos

Quote from: jamespetts on January 09, 2017, 02:23:18 PM
Now that I am back home, I cannot reproduce this, I am afraid. Can you give more precise steps necessary to reproduce it?

Could be platform related, I'm on Windows 10 x64. Any chance trying the above heightmap with 500 cities, 15 large cities, 3 city clusters, 250/300 industries each?

drives on right, signals on right, 2250000 starting economy, 1905 start

jamespetts

I think that I misread your original post and tested with the smaller map earlier. It is very difficult to test this properly because it takes many hours to generate a new game with a debug build with these settings, but I have pushed a fix that I hope will help. Would you be able to re-test? Thank you.