News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

A small issue with railway crossings

Started by emaxectranspoorte, January 03, 2009, 03:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emaxectranspoorte

This is one that I have been thinking about for a long, long time. But didn't know how to formulate it, especially since this issue is now long past...

As we all know, after a train leaves a certain crossing of a particular road, the crossing opens to let traffic on the road pass through (immediately after the train passes the railway crossing). From a realism perspective that's not really... It should be a in-game map tile (or even two) after the train passes it, after passing through the crossing (except for station tiles near that crossing: as it might block traffic to a particular road). Also if the train passes a particular railway crossing (behaviour I've seen of crossing from real life), and stops after (the tile exactly after) passing the crossing, the crossing doesn't open for approx. 3-12 seconds (sometimes even 3-23 seconds). It just probably just buffers the train on the crossing :D (Did it pass? Well the crossing is clear so I'll wait a bit, then I'll say it's clear and I'll open and let the traffic (cars, vehicles, etc...) to pass through me... ;) ;D

:-\

EDIT: I know this issue is now been a problem long time ago and it's now solved... But I was just adding a bit more from a realism perspective (from what I've seen where I went, anyway... if I'm wrong... :-\ ) Faulty crossings even have more waiting time (unless it is waiting for an opposite train, which then it's definitely not faulty (speaking of two adjacent train lines near one another :) ). But you're absolutely right, as this decreases gameplay enjoyment and fun (including diversity). So faulty crossings is definitely not an issue to consider, IMHO.

Above maybe make it 30 seconds on average... if you so decide to have this... :-\ As to not keeping traffic on roads stuck too long... :)

emaxectranspoorte

Is it somehow wrongly explained? :-\

VS

I guess it works that way because then it's just a matter of checking if there is a train on the tile. Anything else is probably more complicated, code-wise.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

emaxectranspoorte