News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.7 won't launch?

Started by TygerFish, December 06, 2010, 03:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TygerFish

Am I the only one who gets the following message in the new version?

stadt::init()
Can't read cityrules.tab
PRESS ANY KEY

Tried replacing the cityrules.tab file with the one from 0.6... no luck.

wlindley

I get the same thing.  No luck so far trying it.  Am hoping the "Remove one square of track = 4 million credits, instant bankrupt" problem from last version is resolved.

TygerFish

Quote from: wlindley on December 07, 2010, 10:02:44 AM
I get the same thing.  No luck so far trying it.  Am hoping the "Remove one square of track = 4 million credits, instant bankrupt" problem from last version is resolved.
What OS are you running?  I'm on Linux.

wlindley

Linux here as well. 

Perhaps someone who has this working, can reply here with the exact links to everything (exe, config, pakset) they have working, to download into a fresh directory.

vdel

I tried to use the new Pak128.Britain-Ex under Simutrans 102.3 Experimental 8.2 (Win XP SP3). When I try to create a new map, I get "an unhandled win32 expeption occured in Simutrans-Experimental.exe [5464]". Any suggestions?

TygerFish

Quote from: vdel on December 07, 2010, 01:53:00 PM
I tried to use the new Pak128.Britain-Ex under Simutrans 102.3 Experimental 8.2 (Win XP SP3). When I try to create a new map, I get "an unhandled win32 expeption occured in Simutrans-Experimental.exe [5464]". Any suggestions?
That sounds like a different issue; we can't even get it to launch.  Can you open up a separate thread so the discussions don't overlap?  I can't multitask well enough to follow complex threads.  :)

Quote from: wlindley on December 07, 2010, 01:51:01 PM
Linux here as well. 

Perhaps someone who has this working, can reply here with the exact links to everything (exe, config, pakset) they have working, to download into a fresh directory.
To anyone else reading this: have you gotten it working in Linux yet?

I tried other paksets, including 0.6, and they all loaded fine.  Must be something specific to 0.7, but so far I don't see any differences in the config files that might cause that...

inkelyad

Quote from: TygerFish on December 07, 2010, 02:07:39 PM
I don't know what version of pak it is (james, put tags in repository).
Commit ad5a8585cb41225e72e33a755e48c82201b54445 of pak works with c2c07aac859a259a0e547e85db0a868c43fa6158 of simutrans.

But I compile pak and simutrans myself and just copy it in Simutrans directory. It is nowhere near clean installation.

vdel

Quote from: TygerFish on December 07, 2010, 02:07:39 PM
That sounds like a different issue; we can't even get it to launch.  Can you open up a separate thread so the discussions don't overlap?  I can't multitask well enough to follow complex threads.  :)

I tried other paksets, including 0.6, and they all loaded fine.  Must be something specific to 0.7, but so far I don't see any differences in the config files that might cause that...

Well, I still think it "sounds" like the same issue. Program launches, I can work with every other pakset but I get the error with Pak128.Britain-Ex 07. Logfile is like this:

ERROR: obj_reader_t::read_file():   reading 'skin/ground.Outside.pak' failed!
Please report all errors to
team@64.simutrans.com
ERROR: obj_reader_t::load():   ground.Outside.pak not found, cannot guess tile size! (driving on left will not work!)
team@64.simutrans.com
ERROR: vehikel_basis_t::verlasse_feld():   'typ 67' 053B5D00 could not be removed from -1 -1
team@64.simutrans.com

I tried to put ground.outside.pak into the skin directory but then I still get the "typ xxx could not be removed from -1 -1 errors like the following.
ERROR: vehikel_basis_t::verlasse_feld():   'typ 67' 053B6E00 could not be removed from -1 -1
team@64.simutrans.com
ERROR: vehikel_basis_t::verlasse_feld():   'Ding' 053B6E00 was not found on any map sqaure!
team@64.simutrans.com

If you still thing this is a different issue I will open up a separate thread.

TygerFish

Quote from: vdel on December 07, 2010, 03:39:37 PM
If you still thing this is a different issue I will open up a separate thread.
What I'm experiencing is that pak128.Britain-ex isn't even selectable in the list of paks at initial startup.  The only way to get it to launch is to manually specify the pak path through the command line, at which point I see a blank screen with the "Can't read cityrules.tab" error and the program exits.  For me, 0.7 won't even get to the main menu/demo screen where you can load/start new/set map parameters/etc.

Wlindley: can you confirm that that's your behavior as well?

vdel

If I put ground.Outside.pak into the skin directory, a new pak appears from nowhere! named "skin". If I select it I get the error:
FATAL ERROR: stadt_t::init()
Can't read cityrules.tab
Press any key

and program crashes (it won't start this time).

ӔO

works fine under windows for me.
using 8.2 sdl and just copied 0.7 right over the old, 0.6 files
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

vdel

Stiil did not work for me, so I tried to revert to 0.6 and then copied all files in the 0.7 zip one by one. The file that is causing the problem is the demo.sve (which i assume is the demo displayed after you launch the game but before you start your own). I just reverted it to 6.0 and works fine (so far; I haven't gone any further).

TygerFish

Quote from: vdel on December 07, 2010, 09:32:25 PM
Stiil did not work for me, so I tried to revert to 0.6 and then copied all files in the 0.7 zip one by one. The file that is causing the problem is the demo.sve (which i assume is the demo displayed after you launch the game but before you start your own). I just reverted it to 6.0 and works fine (so far; I haven't gone any further).
Aha, that's the clue!  Looks like there's a problem with the ground.outside.pak file...

Here's what I did to get it working: don't copy into the "skin" folder.  Use all the files from the 0.7 package EXCEPT the following:
ground.outside.pak
demo.sve
I just moved the 0.6 directory, extracted the 0.7 package and just copied those over from the 0.6 directory.  Works like a charm now, including (apparently) all the 0.7 features, like diesel/steam/electric depots, and the new concrete elevated track.

ras52

I'm running Simutrans 102.3 Ex 8.2 with the Simutrans Experimental Config files (the ones uploaded in June, which I think are the most recent) on Linux (Ubuntu 'lucid').  I'm seeing two problems which may be the same as those mentioned in this thread.

First, simutrans didn't start at all.  It died almost immediately claiming I had no paksets installed.  I fixed this by renaming 'ground.outside.pak' to 'ground.Outside.pak' (i.e. capitalising the 'o').  I'm not sure that's the problem at the start of this topic, but it sounds like the one TygerFish has been working round by taking files from 0.6.  Once this is fixed, I can play quite happily with the demo map.

Second, simutrans SEGVs trying to create a map.  When I click 'Start Game' to generate the map, it successfully generates the map and displays it in the window, but then, every time, it SEGVs at game time 0:16h (plus or minutes a game time minute).  The precise parameters when creating the map seem not to matter.  The back trace is always the same:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x080bb0c0 in senke_t::step(long) ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x080bb0c0 in senke_t::step(long) ()
#1  0x080bb906 in senke_t::step_all(long) ()
#2  0x0824f6cc in karte_t::step() ()
#3  0x08250400 in karte_t::interactive(unsigned int) ()
#4  0x0820b6d3 in simu_main(int, char**) ()
#5  0x0828f901 in main ()

The pre-built Simutrans Ex 32-bit Linux binary doesn't have debugging symbols so I can't determine exactly what's causing it, but it looks to me like the fabrik_t* senke_t::fab pointer is bogus in senke_t::step.  I don't really know whether that helps track the problem down, though.

Update: I should add that the latter bug only exhibits with the prebuilt 32-bit linux binaries of 102.3 Ex 8.2.  If I build my own from a fresh checkout of the 9.x branch of simutrans experimental on github, it works.

(I hope this is a useful bug report; I've not posted to these forums before, so apologies if I've done anything incorrectly.)
Richard Smith

rsdworker

jamespetts - i wanted to inform you
i found the very nasty game crash on new map start when i start the new map (i can reproduce this - just start game and start map and you will get error popup) - this very urgent its needs fixed ASAP cause i can't play new maps in this current ex britan pak 0.7 so its happens on window version

so if you need logs - please could you provide me the infomation to find them in simutrans folder
thanks

TygerFish

Quote from: ras52 on December 08, 2010, 09:55:17 PM
First, simutrans didn't start at all.  It died almost immediately claiming I had no paksets installed.  I fixed this by renaming 'ground.outside.pak' to 'ground.Outside.pak' (i.e. capitalising the 'o').  I'm not sure that's the problem at the start of this topic, but it sounds like the one TygerFish has been working round by taking files from 0.6.  Once this is fixed, I can play quite happily with the demo map.
Good eye!  I renamed the 0.7 ground.outside.pak to ground.Outside.pak and it works fine for me too!  Makes sense that Windows people aren't experiencing this issue, since NTFS isn't a case-sensitive filesystem.

Can we can safely say that the lowercase 'o' is the cause for the Linux issue of not launching at all/not being able to parse the pakset?

Quote from: ras52 on December 08, 2010, 09:55:17 PM
Second, simutrans SEGVs trying to create a map.  When I click 'Start Game' to generate the map, it successfully generates the map and displays it in the window, but then, every time, it SEGVs at game time 0:16h (plus or minutes a game time minute).  The precise parameters when creating the map seem not to matter.  The back trace is always the same:

Update: I should add that the latter bug only exhibits with the prebuilt 32-bit linux binaries of 102.3 Ex 8.2.  If I build my own from a fresh checkout of the 9.x branch of simutrans experimental on github, it works.
That sounds like something else entirely, though... :/  Some thoughts...

You downloaded your pre-built 32-bit simutrans-experimental executable from this thread?
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1894.0
If you pause the game immediately after map creation, does it still SEGV?  (In other words, is it something that's being processed at 0:16h game time, or something that get processed a few real-time seconds into the game?)

Spike

Quote from: TygerFish on December 09, 2010, 02:56:36 PM
Can we can safely say that the lowercase 'o' is the cause for the Linux issue of not launching at all/not being able to parse the pakset?

At least Simutrans looks for this file inside the directories to decide which directories might contain pak sets. I assume that for case sensitive file systems the file must have exactly that name that was coded into the program (haven't checked the source yet, but from this thread I very much assume there is "Outside", and not "outside" being checked ...)

Also the "I get a new pak set called 'skin'" effect which vdel experienced during testing came from moving the file into the skin directory - Simutrans now thinks that there is a full pak set in this directory and fails upon selecting that one, since it isn't actually a complete set.

ras52

Thanks for your reply, TygerFish.

Quote from: TygerFish on December 09, 2010, 02:56:36 PM
That sounds like something else entirely, though... :/ 

I had wondered whether it was the same problem that vdel reported in the fifth post in this thread.

You downloaded your pre-built 32-bit simutrans-experimental executable from this thread?
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=1894.0

Yes.  Specifically, I followed this link (and downloaded it afresh yesterday evening in case it had been updated or my local copy had become corrupt).  Other than the simutrans executable, there is nothing in my simutrans directory that wasn't from either the pak128.Britain-Ex-0.7 preview, or the experimental configuration files from us (site down, do not visit) ]/simutrans-experimental-config.zip]here.  I've not found that I needed additional content (e.g. the music/ directory from simutrans standard) with other combinations of simutrans executable and pakset.  Is there any reason to assume I need them with this combination?

If you pause the game immediately after map creation, does it still SEGV?  (In other words, is it something that's being processed at 0:16h game time, or something that get processed a few real-time seconds into the game?)

If I pause it immediately, it does not SEGV and I can play ith it happily while it's paused (e.g. I can create roads, demolish buildings, etc...).  Un-pause it and it still SEGVs, usually at 0:16h, occasionally a game-time minute earlier or later.  The backtrace is always identical, although the address of the specific senke_t object it's parsing varies.  Even with very large (4096x4096) or very small (32x32) maps, configured with suitably many cities and industries, the game still SEGVs at the same game time. 

Richard Smith

vdel

Just to add something, in case it might be helpful. After removing the demo.sve, game starts (and works) OK, but still in the logfile I get the following:

ERROR: obj_reader_t::read_file():   reading 'skin/ground.Outside.pak' failed!
team@64.simutrans.com
ERROR: obj_reader_t::load():   ground.Outside.pak not found, cannot guess tile size! (driving on left will not work!)
team@64.simutrans.com

It seems that it is trying to find the "ground.Outside.pak" - not case sensitive since it is under Windows - in the skin directory. So, I put it there and even though there "seems" to be an extra pak called Skin, there are no more errors in the logfile.

inkelyad

Quote from: ras52 on December 09, 2010, 03:42:32 PM
Specifically, I followed http://www.43-1.org/~simutrans/simutrans-exp/i386/simutrans-exp-latest
Sign.. There was a lot of changes since 28-Jun-2010... Can you build more recent binary? It is not that hard.

About filenames/search paths. Under Linux you can use 'strace' to find it.

strace ./simutrans

and then look through log.
or just

strace -e open ./simutrans

jamespetts

Hello everyone - apologies for the delay in reverting to you on this. It looks as though there might well be an incompatibility between Simutrans-Experimental 8.2 and the recently released Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.7. I had tested the pakset with the 9.x branch (in other words, a preliminary version of the upcoming Simutrans-Experimental 9.0), and not realised that changes (probably those from Standard) had meant that paksets compiled with more recent versions of Makeobj produced paksets incompatible with 8.2.

I am hoping to release 9.0 soon; in the meantime, users can either (if they are feeling brave) compile 9.x from the sources and test it there (although proceed with caution, since the save game format is not finalised, and it is possible that further changes will mean that games saved with a pre-release version of 9.0 will not be compatible with either 8.2 or 9.0, although that is mitigated to some extent by the new feature allowing one to save the game in a previous version), or continue to use Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.6 until the release of Simutrans-Experimental 9.0. If anyone wants to try out the new balancing setup from 0.7 using Simutrans-Experimental 8.2, then one can always use the simuconf.tab file from Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.7 with the .pak files from 0.6 for the time being.

Apologies for the difficulties; I hope that we shall all be able to use the much improved Simutrans-Experimental 9.0 very soon! Thank you for all the reports and the interest in Pak128.Britain-Ex.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.