News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Vehicle Names

Started by LordBelacqua, January 09, 2011, 04:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordBelacqua

Hi guys,

First off, I'd like to say what awesome work you're doing here - thoroughly enjoyed playing simutrans, and pak128.Britain especially.

I am, however, having one issue - which I expect has come up before - when I mouse-over locomotives and other vehicles, I get a "LOCO_INFO_EXT" (or equivalent) rather than the details (other than passenger carriages - seems that it's just powered vehicles I have this issue with) - as shown below.

Bug 1 - Railway
Trams
Buses

I'm currently running Simutrans 102.3 Experimental 9.2, and my pak is 7.1.

As a further note, I'd quite like to get involved in pak128.Britain - I've not done much by way of work for a game graphic- or coding-wise previously, but my English is top-notch - perhaps manual-writing or similar? I'm also happy to look into researching (I volunteer for a heritage railway most weekends as a guard, so I have access to some material and plenty of first-hand knowledge - most of the other volunteers are ex-railway).

ӔO

I think you might be missing the configuration files.
or the configuration files were put in the wrong directory.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

LordBelacqua

Okay - would you be able to elaborate on what's supposed to go where?

I have pak128.Britain-ex in the Simutrans root directory. Within the pak folder, I have:

• config
  • doc
  • sound
  • text
I have not moved any files out - they were unzipped from the compressed file to the pak file - should they have been?

ӔO

all the two simutrans-ex zip files should be extracted to the same folder.
the pakbritain-ex zip file should be extracted to its own folder.

there are config files and folders in the main game and then there are also config files in the pak folder as well.

Colour safe chart:

LordBelacqua

Mine looks exactly the same as yours, but I'm still getting the issue, even when I've redownloaded and reinstalled everything (simutrans w/britain128, comic192, simutrans experimental, then Britain-ex). Is it worth downloading an earlier version of Britain-ex and updating?

ӔO

hmm, you should separate standard from experimental, as they both use different configuration files.

Colour safe chart:

LordBelacqua

Fixed - shuffled some config files around and separated the standard and experimental, and voila!

Thanks AEO!

jamespetts

Hello, and welcome to the forums and to Simutrans! I'm glad that you managed to get your issue fixed.

Quote from: LordBelacqua on January 09, 2011, 04:38:50 PM
As a further note, I'd quite like to get involved in pak128.Britain - I've not done much by way of work for a game graphic- or coding-wise previously, but my English is top-notch - perhaps manual-writing or similar? I'm also happy to look into researching (I volunteer for a heritage railway most weekends as a guard, so I have access to some material and plenty of first-hand knowledge - most of the other volunteers are ex-railway).

Your help would indeed be appreciated. Writing documentation is always appreciated, although the practical difficulty with that is that it may take just as much time and effort for me to tell you what to write than for you to write it yourself - until, at least, you have played the game enough to be quite familiar with it. There are some help files that do need updating, however.

More useful in the short term, perhaps, might be research. I am not sure whether you know much about how much that things used to cost years ago (see here and here for further discussion on what is needed there), but one thing that you might be able to do is gather some information on the real-life performance of steam locomotives (average speed over x distance on the flat with y load), especially smaller steam locomotives for which records are harder to obtain in ordinary books. I have made a start on doing this with the published information that I have (E. L. Ahrons), but any more information on the topic would be much appreciated!

Thank you for your offer of assistance, and I hope that you enjoy Simutrans!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.