News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

1750s Stage Coach (rigid) available before roads that can support it?

Started by AP, December 11, 2017, 07:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

It seems that the "Stage Coach (rigid)" is available from 1750 in the stables, yet its weight exceeds the maximum weight of the roads available to build in that decade. So it cannot be used.

The most sturdy road of that era has a 1t weight limit on it.

DrSuperGood

Its axel load is only 1 ton so it can be used perfectly. Be aware the default intercity roads have an axel load of only 0 tons so do not support them. One will have to upgrade such roads to support an axel load of 1 ton or more for them to be used. It can even go on bridges as long as they are not wooden (are made of stone or better) as wooden ones weight (not axel load) limit is too low.

Axel load limit is not the same as weight. A convoy can use a way type as long as its axel load is less than the axel load limit of the way, even if the convoy itself has as good as infinite weight. Weight is only important for elevated ways and bridges since convoys that weigh too much cannot use them.

My company on the server uses over a hundred of them with no problems.

AP

Hmm interesting. I must have been missing some tiles of un-upgraded road or something then. I'd done all the road improvements (or so I thought) and they were giving me real problem.

You are right though, they do work.

We might want to clarify somewhere axel load vs weight. Seems a subtle distinction.

DrSuperGood

Axel weight is the weight applied per wheel (or is it set of wheels?) to the way surface. In real life there is a limit to this otherwise a vehicle would extremely damage the way surface or even sink into it. This is why trucks have a lot of wheels, so as to limit the force applied by each to prevent digging into road surfaces. Some specilist moving platforms for very heavy items have hundreds of wheels.