News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

remake icons

Started by gauthier, December 14, 2008, 12:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier

Well, now Simutrans has an average icon background which isn't very nice (see the first atached picture).

Remake icons won't be very difficult and doesn't need code editing so it's a small improving that really makes Simutrans nicer.

I purpose a new icon (see the second atached picture) but it may be different.

If you agree, I can remake general icon's picture.

KrazyJay

I'd suggest backgrounds of icons can have colors matching their purpose. Nowadays, it's hard to recognise from the icons what to use the stop for, tiny icons inside icons are the only indication for new users... If there's no general purpose, it could stay grey, and if icons have multiple purposes, they could be multicolor. Down below are some examples... Green for passengers, Yellow for Mail, Blue for Goods and Red for decorative items without any purpose. Hope it's useful and making Simutrans more convenient or at least an some inspiration..

PS: I'm colorblind so I tried to be considerate with color picking.
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

gauthier

I don't think a multicolor toolbar would be very nice ...
I have an other idea :
_ icons drawn in png pictures would be frontimage and an icon background would be included in ST. The player couls choose his favorite background.

VS

Make icon background part of skin object? Good idea.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Roads

KrazyJay, I am color blind as well.  Like many people, not to the point that I can't distinguish "hard" colors but I find it impossible to tell blue from purple and light yellow green from dark yellow, cream, that sort of thing.

Actually the idea of the people and mail designs on the icons is bordering on inspired.  The color coding idea is good as well if it were obvious that the colors meant something.  I think the designs are more obvious if they were easier to see.  The icons on the line window are very helpful and I have no problem seeing them.  Maybe it is the design color/background color combo on the train icons that make them so hard to see.