News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

SIGC - Transparency

Started by Leartin, March 07, 2017, 09:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leartin

Formerly called SRGC, but too irregular for that name.

A new game version is out, and with it came a big feature for Graphic Artists: Transparency. Useful for many things, such as tainted glass, shadows, trees, smoke, anti-aliasing,...
Now this causes two tiny issues: On the one hand, a single signal can not compete with a giant building. On the other hand, you can't really show off transparency in an object by itself, you need to see how it looks in the game with other stuff behind it. Therefore, in this SIGC, your task is to create any number of objects that contain transparency, for any pak size and style, and show them through a game screenshot of any (but rather small) size.

I will end this contest on April 17th, then the voting period starts.

The Rules:

• Who can enter the contest?
    Anyone, multiple times, even if not registered on forum.simutrans.com, who read, understood and agreed to these rules.
  • What do I have to do?
    Create an image that fits the topic of the contest. In this case, a screenshot of one or several objects using transparency.
  • Where do I post my creation?
    Right here. No secrecy this time, it works just like an SMSC.
  • How do I win?
    After the nomination period, we'll start a voting on forum.simutrans.com. The image with the most votes is the winner.
  • What about the licence?
    Pick one: CC0, CC-BY 3.0 or newer, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or newer.

Examples:
Some inspiration:

Just a building with drop shadow.

This is a bit elaborate: The red "STC"-Letters are a frontimage in lightcolor, which enables anti-aliasing.
Click for full size so it can be seen.

Some rendered trees by RedRabbit for p128g (who might still enter with them - but only showing p192c would be boring)

JHSDF

Hello. I was interested in this topic introduced on Simutrans community in Japan.
If there are missing or wrong in in this textmn please tell me.

"Smoke of steam locomotion"

These locomotion have two invisible cars connected forward them and emitting two Different smoke that has transparency at the same time.

I think good point of using transparency is two.
First, smoke concentration decrease as the train speed up.
Before 120.2, images of smoke are mass of smoke, but it looks straight in 120.2.

Second, we can overlay different image of smoke.
This "JHSDF_realsmoke" emit white smoke everytime, and emit black smoke and drain while train powering.
Before 120.2, We have to make hole in graphic so that we can see both graphics of smoke. But I don't have to worry about it in 120.2.

pakset Pak128.japan and many addons
not a real game
CC0

2017.4.12 Uploader has downed so I changed address of image.
My website has some addon for pak128.japan
http://kyuujitujieitai.wixsite.com/simuexpo

twitter https://twitter.com/kyuujitujieitai

Flemmbrav

Hey!
I'ld love to keep this thread alive, such an interesting Topic.

"Elbbrücken Station"

Technicly this should be pretty obviuos. The glas shares the grayscale of the stale structure but with different basis.
Since i just have one frontimage i had to repaint the colored structure in the front, which is not affected by the glas Roof, but painted a bit darker then where no rrof is on top of it.

Pak192.Comic without addons
A real game
CC0

Vladki

Very nice

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

An_dz

Well, I'll get in too. With Clouds & Ballons.

Here's a screen showing two of the 5 new semi-transparent Futurama inspired clouds. It also sports an updated The Transporter's Train Depot with glass windows. It also shows three of the 5 hot air balloons and the animated waterfall.

The blue and the far left balloon were Photoshopped in the image just to show them.

Ves

I too would like to add a picture with some items featuring transparency :)

Signals set for departure

The transparent items are the catenary system, the light from the signals facing away from the camera, as well as some of the buildings.

Pak.Sweden-Ex
Not a real game
CC0

Vladki

As the night falls on snow covered town, the streetlamps shed light on people rushing home from the last bus.

Pak128.CS with some not yet released addons, not a real game, licence CC0.
The streetlamps use transparent window light colours. The effect is best seen against snow background.
Unfortunately the lamps cast shadows during the day :(

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Vladki on April 16, 2017, 07:29:20 PM
Unfortunately the lamps cast shadows during the day :(
Too bad it was never solved.  :-[

Yona-TYT

Quote from: An_dz on April 06, 2017, 06:28:52 AM
Well, I'll get in too. With Clouds & Ballons.

Here's a screen showing two of the 5 new semi-transparent Futurama inspired clouds. It also sports an updated The Transporter's Train Depot with glass windows. It also shows three of the 5 hot air balloons and the animated waterfall.

The blue and the far left balloon were Photoshopped in the image just to show them.
Beautiful hot air balloons.  ;D

Vladki

Quote from: Yona-TYT on April 17, 2017, 12:03:51 AM
Too bad it was never solved.  :-[

Here is a link to the pak with lamps if anyone is interested: http://list.extended.simutrans.org/~vladki/pak128.CS/lampy/