News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

EMD F45, Graphics done? coder wanted

Started by Packer, February 24, 2012, 07:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Packer

Here's one of the engines I did for OTTD/TTD. I realigned it for the simutrans template. Unfortunately, in my haitus from simutrans I forgot the special colors and how to code for Simutrans.

Here's the stats:
EMD F45
Intro: 1968
Retire: ???? (2-5 are still active IIRC)
Power: 2685 kW
Weight: 120 TONS (standard tons, IDK if it's metric tons or not for ST)
Max. Speed 120 KM/H
Length: 8

Could also be used for an FP45, with a max speed of 152-160 km/h but lower gearing (less pulling power)

I'd like for someone to code this and see if it works properly and doesn't use the special colors in an unusual way. If it works properly I have a bunch more US RR vehicles I can realign for simutrans. (enough for a pak64.USA)
The Pack is back!!

Pak64US vehicles, goods files, road, and terrain tiles: download here
Pak64US would greatly appreciate helpers to get it off the ground:Please Help

prissi

I have a program to convert a pcx + nfo to some more or less properly aligned and recolored graphic in simutrans. You can find it in the sf/simutrans/pakTTD/tools directory.

You just need a file with the descriptions:

nfo=ogfx1_base.nfo
name=Passagierwagen
ei=2733,2737
waytype=track
freight=Passagiere
payload=40
speed=120
cost=385800
weight=25
RunningCost = 30
intro_year= 1920
Sound=-1
----

ei=x,y is the offset of the sprite in the pcx in pixels. The program will convert all player colors correctly and align the vehicle.

You can find a compiled version under http://www.physik.tu-berlin.de/~prissi/simutrans/tools.zip

greenling

packer
your photo from the EMD F45 looks good out.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Packer

Prissi, never knew such a tool existed. Perhaps if I can get the NFO from the NARS creators, this could be done much, much faster. Anyways, I'll give it a shot in a few days.

Geenling, Thanks. The F45 took a while to get to look right. Helped a lot to have a high-end model of one in front of me while doing it. I have an SD45-2, SD38-2, RS11, RS1, GP38, 39, 40 and their -2 counterparts that I did. Have yet to ask for permission for the other graphics.
The Pack is back!!

prissi

grfcodec -p 1 -d will create pcx and nfo from and grf ... (the parameter after p probably needs tweaking)

Packer

I tried grfcodec and got nothing. IDK what the "-p 1 -d" is about.

I asked the creator for the NFO.

In the mean time here's an RS11.
Intro: Febuary 1956
Retire: ???
Power: 1342
Weight: 125 tons
Speed: 105 km
Length: 7
The Pack is back!!

prissi

grfcodec -help gives you the options. It will create a pcx and nfo when asked to "-d"ecode.

Packer

Either I don't know how to use it, or my copy of grfcodec is busted. I'm gonna wait a few days and see if  the person I PM'd sends me the NFO
The Pack is back!!

Packer

Quote from: prissi on February 24, 2012, 09:19:15 PM
I have a program to convert a pcx + nfo to some more or less properly aligned and recolored graphic in simutrans. You can find it in the sf/simutrans/pakTTD/tools directory.

You just need a file with the descriptions:

nfo=ogfx1_base.nfo
name=Passagierwagen
ei=2733,2737
waytype=track
freight=Passagiere
payload=40
speed=120
cost=385800
weight=25
RunningCost = 30
intro_year= 1920
Sound=-1
----

ei=x,y is the offset of the sprite in the pcx in pixels. The program will convert all player colors correctly and align the vehicle.

You can find a compiled version under http://www.physik.tu-berlin.de/~prissi/simutrans/tools.zip

Okay I got grfcodec to work properly. Out of curiosity; if I aligned the sprites to simutrans, but used the TTD pallette, the offset would be 0,0 right?

There are graphics for 4 different liverys, but I intend to only use one. (the one closest to the existing SD40 in pak)
The Pack is back!!

prissi

The program I supplied only works with pcx images, assuming they are in OpenTTD palette. If you alinged everything already, you just need that image and the date file and you are finished.

Packer

Cool. I'll give it a go when I get home from college.
The Pack is back!!

Packer

Okay, I tried it and it gave me a message about not being able to read the NFO. I don't know how to make a TTD-style NFO (I'm just a painter), so I just saved the file for the grf 2 dat as an NFO. Am I doing it wrong.

Do I need to make a simutrans dat file (I'm searching for a template), a TTD style NFO, or am I doing something else wrong
The Pack is back!!

prissi

You need the NFO file generated by grfcodec. The numbers are then the lines in the file for the sprites. But this works only with very basic NFO. The other file is a file liek you provided. Just post the GRF and I will see.

Packer

The GRF I'd like to redo for Simutrans is too large to attach... And there is no GRF for the F45 or RS11 I did...

I ended up manually recoloring the F45 I did and the SD45 from the GRF. Same stats except the SD45 gets introduced in December 1965 and the F45 gets introduced in June 1968. I may make the F45 an FP45 instead (lower gear, 160 km/h top speed, and December 1967 introduction)

One thing I'm curious about is should the windows be a non-darkening grey?
The Pack is back!!

prissi

That is up to you. I very much like your engine!

Packer

Thanks. Maybe I'll "borrow" the GG1 that's in that set after I get these right.

I managed to code them, but the alignment template (also attached) I have must be a bit off or I messed up on the length.

Also note that I have to erase the letters in the png file....

Anyone have any suggestions or another template?
The Pack is back!!

Packer

I've had no no luck finding another template, so I haven't done much with the F45/FP45 and SD45s... I got them a little closer and got rid of the letters, see attached zip.

I saw a posting about needing a high-speed electric for early in the game; and a GG1 was mentioned. So I decided to recolor a TTD one (manually, again). Attached the results.

Stats:
Into: 1-1934
Retire: 10-1983 (last one in service was retired in 1983, due to the AEM-7)
Power: 3,450 Kw (6000Kw in short bursts)
Speed: 160 Km/h (passenger), 130-145 (frieght)
Weight: 216 tons
The Pack is back!!

prissi

Wasn't it really two locos, thus an articulated three part would be better? But anyway, very nice sprite. Indeed, I will check if I can integrate it without breaking the balance of the pak.

Packer

It was built on the frames of 2 4-6-0s, back to back (2-C-C-2). All 4 trucks were articulated. However it was one locomotive. There was one that was cut in half and used as a switcher or something.

All I can say is make it expensive to buy and run (prototype was apparently cheap to run). I have a boxcab, some could hit 70-80 mph. In case the GG1 is overpowered.
The Pack is back!!

Packer

I found a png file of a rail vehicle that's already in the official pak, so I used it as a basis to re-align the SD45 and F45.

If you download it and use it, can you please comment on it. I'd like to hear suggestions about making it fit right (alignment wise) with the other vehicles in the pack.

@ prissi: If you really want me to, I could try to make it longer. It might not look as good though. I did one a long time ago that was a full tile long.
The Pack is back!!

Packer

Thanks to Fabio's color converter he made for GIMP, I was able to knock out several American Locomotives in a few hours. I spent the most time gathering technical data and aligning them.

The attached rars contains the following (split up due to file size:
ALCO: RS 1, RS2, RS3, RS11
EMD: GP7, GP9; SD/GP 38, 38-2, 39, 39-2*, 40, 40-2; SD45-2, GP40X.
Also included is a re-aligned SD45 and F/FP45.

I don't really have an idea on balancing them, but I gave it a shot. Some help there would be much appreciated

*No orders were ever placed for the SD39-2 so I didn't do it.
The Pack is back!!

VS

Lots and lots of locos :) Where are all the US-based fans to cheer for you?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Packer

Quote from: VS on March 27, 2012, 06:42:32 PM
Lots and lots of locos :) Where are all the US-based fans to cheer for you?

And lots more to come, as soon as I can find, align, and code them all (I had to make my own template because the pak64 isn't right; IIRC there was an older one that was more accurate)

As for where all the US-based fans are, I don't know. There were a bunch of people asking for a pak128 US pak. I'm getting some downloads though, so that's a good sign.

I'm planning to be able to transport all goods with american rail cars. I'm just curious if anyone know what to put in the "cargo" category for pak64's cargos? The wiki gives me an error...
The Pack is back!!

Lmallet

Quote from: Packer on March 27, 2012, 10:02:48 PM
As for where all the US-based fans are, I don't know. There were a bunch of people asking for a pak128 US pak. I'm getting some downloads though, so that's a good sign.

I am not a fan of pak64, but those locos look really nice.  If you built pak64.US and kept that level of graphics for everything else, I would probably switch :)

I don't know if you need so many locomotives, GP7/9s and GP38/39/40s (to name a few) look essentially the same at that size, all that really changes is the power.  The depot window is going to be quite full.

Packer

Quote from: Lmallet on March 27, 2012, 11:47:02 PM
I am not a fan of pak64, but those locos look really nice.  If you built pak64.US and kept that level of graphics for everything else, I would probably switch :)

I don't know if you need so many locomotives, GP7/9s and GP38/39/40s (to name a few) look essentially the same at that size, all that really changes is the power.  The depot window is going to be quite full.

Thanks. However I can't take credit for most of them. Most of them are other people's graphics (I have permission) or my modifications of other people's graphics. The FP45/F45 is the only one that I can take truly take credit for.

Is the depot being full quite a bad thing? ;D They'll be organized by name in the depot, kind of like Raven's US (santa fe) pak he did for pak128.

I attached the template I made (modified the latter one on graphics.simutrans.com). I figured that if pakUS becomes a full set (like pakGerman or pakJapan) all the rail vehicles should use the same template. I just wish I knew someone who could create a custom industry set for pakUS (IIRC pakGerman has it's own).
The Pack is back!!

Milko

Hello

Good job. Really beautiful.

These locomotives will be entered into the "pak64 standard" or are considered addon?

Giuseppe

Packer

Thanks. They can be used for the standard pak if you want (prissi wanted the GG1 in the pak). However I'm kind of shooting for a seperate pak.

For now they are add-on because I have no idea how to balance them for game play (I think I made some of them a bit too expensive, and a few too cheap ATM)

I discovered a few glitches with the previously released vehicles. Some have their gear set to 0; aparantly a space is 0. So I'll fix it when I get a chance.

How about some passenger equipment? I don't know if I need 2-3 variants of every car. But the graphics I've been given have several variants for each type of car (there are literally over 80 different boxcars [I didn't count, but there are a lot], spread over 4 types)

*not coded yet because I can't figure out cargo definitions. I'll just keep aligning stuff until then.

I have a few questions for the other painters and coders:
1. When making my "backwards" vehicles; do I need to re-align another row of sprites for the reversed view? Or just make it backwards in the .dat file? I can kind of see how it'd work with vehicles with a lenght of 8 by just using the .dat file, but what about for other vehicle lenghts?

2. Why are my - views overlapping? Every other view is fine. I haven't tried the new template yet, but I'm getting variations between the SDs (length 8) and the GPs (length 7) in how much they overlap cars already in the pak. (5 for the GPs, 7-8 for the SDs)

3. What are the goods definitions for pak 64? the wiki is  no help.
The Pack is back!!

VS

Are the side views artificially lengthened? Simutrans can work with true sqrt(2) length on diagonals...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Packer

I don't think so. They line up with in length with the template on the graphics site. The template I used could be off. I've already re-aligned the vehicles to it. Guess the only way to know is to code it and see.

32 pixels = length 8 and 28 pixels= length 7 in the - views, right?
The Pack is back!!

Packer

Okay I got around to getting some of the vehicles I did early and a few new ones on the new template and coded them. However simutrans stopped working as soon as I tried to test them on my computer. (works fine at the college though)

The DOS window froze at the following lines:
Use work dir C:\Program Files\Simutrans\
Reading low level config data  ...

IDK what's up with that, but I'm gonna test them at the college to see how they work.

EMD 645s.zip contains most of the locos I did earlier (GP/SD38, 39, 40, 45, their -2 counterparts, F45/FP45)
EMD 567.zip contains a GP7, GP9, GP9M, GP30, SD7, SD9, FTs, F3s, F7s, and F9s.

Just in those zips, a game could be played with American diesel locomotives from 1940 on. Next to come are all the ALCOs and GEs (and a GP60 and SD70MAC). The steamers will be last (going back into the 1830s  :o).

Edit: The gear setting for my locomotives is apparently a SNAFU. Looks like I'm not supposed to use a period in the gear  :-[

Will fix when I get home.
The Pack is back!!

VS

Gear is in percent: 100 = 1.00x, 110 = +10%, 125 = 1/4 stronger etc.

Packer

Thanks. What about reductions using gear; Would a gear of .85 be 085 or just 85 in the dat?

Fixed the gear issues in the 567s and 645s, added the ALCO diesels (except for switchers and the PAs; which will be in a seperate group). Next up are the GEs and the remaining 2 EMD road diesels; then the Es and PAs.

ALCOs contains: RS1, RS2, RS3, RS11, FA/FB-1, FA/FB-2, C628, C630, C636.
EMD 567 contains: GP7, GP9, GP9M, GP30, SD7, SD9, FTs, F3s, F7s, and F9s.
EMD 645 part 1 contains: GP38, 39, 40 (and their -2 counterparts), 40X, F/FP45
EMD 645 part 2 contains: SD38, 39, 40, 45 (and their -2 counterparts)

Edit: Attachements are too large... Made the zips RARs instead pngs are in the rars.
The Pack is back!!

Packer

An update:

A Playable PakUS is, or was, almost in sight. I've got most of the graphics lined up, but then I decided to make my own tempalte that is conistant in the N, E, S, and W views.  I've tested it so far and it looks great, except for the - views. I found my answer for why they clipped, and it has to do with the way vehicles line up in the - views in the newer simutrans. When it was changed to remove gaps, the elongated - views no longer work. Unfortunately; there's no template for the new system... I'm currently testing out a few ideas I have with the DD40AX.

As a result pakUS is on hold until I figure that one out.

There are a few more issues I'm having with completing this set:

1.  I'm having is deciding which version of the rail cars to use. There are bunches of different schemes for the same car. The doublestack wagon has 4 different container colors, in each postion (a total of 15 different loaded configurations). Guess the freight car selection in the depot is gonna be kind of full.

2. I plan to use the food chain in the pak. But I would like a different goods definition file. Not a whole lot of changes: milk to a cooled good, grain to a powder/pellet, Waste to a bulk good, wood to a special cargo (unless a different load can be specified for planks and wood; like the bulk goods in pak128)

3. I would like to use Issac's US roads, but IIRC they didn't work at night. I haven't tested my graphics at night; so Pak US might not be playable at night.

4. PakUS could probably benefit from a different speed bonus. Most frieght trains in the US never go over 120 km/h, and the fastest passenger train (acela) tops out at 243 km/h. The speeds haven't really changed much since the 1940s...

5. I'm trying to figure out a balance. I would like the railcars to have kind of a low capacity and cost, so there can be longer trains. But simutran's vehicle limit kind of puts a damper on that one.
The Pack is back!!

prissi

If you make your cars constently too long (like OPenTTD) you could set this in the pak set simuconf.tab. The parameter is called "diagonal_length=1024" That would give you the same ratios as in OpenTTD.

Packer

Quote from: prissi on April 02, 2012, 03:16:06 PM
If you make your cars constently too long (like OPenTTD) you could set this in the pak set simuconf.tab. The parameter is called "diagonal_length=1024" That would give you the same ratios as in OpenTTD.

Oh sweet. Thanks a bunch for that one!
The Pack is back!!