News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Pak64 vehicle alignment

Started by passengerpigeon, July 15, 2017, 12:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passengerpigeon

Hello all,
I have recently created a small add-on for a railway carriage using a template that I downloaded from the forums, but I am having alignment issues with the vehicle in game and am wondering whether the template I used was outdated. Can somebody help figure out what is wrong? I have attached the addon as well as the source files and a screenshot of the abnormal behavior (the train in the image has 4 carriages). If you find the problem, please tell me how to fix it as I have several other WIP vehicles I would like to apply the fix to.
Thanks,
Passengerpigeon

Ters

Several vehicles in pak64 have bad/outdated alignments, so there might be outdated templates around, but none of the vehicles are that badly out of alignment.

passengerpigeon

OK, so I used TenukiSharyo's add-on as a template to realign the carriages and the alignment seems to be mostly fine now. This add-on is intended to fix the first two balancing issues I brought up in my previous thread and will include an electric multiple unit as well - I'm thinking of adding the EN57. Any ideas on how I can improve my "art"?
Thanks,
Passengerpigeon.

Ters

I think it looks very much in the style of pak64.

passengerpigeon

Thanks. Having said that, though, the carriages are still "melding" together when viewed side-on even though I fixed the overhang problems on corners (by shifting the side-on images) and made the length one longer than recommended (which fixed the merging issues in the isometric view). Do you know how I can fix this?
Thanks,
Passengerpigeon.

Frank

The graphic in this view is too long.

# how long is a diagonal (512: faktor 2=1024/512, old way, 724: sqrt(2)=1024/724
# THIS WILL BE ONLY USED, WHEN THIS FILE IS IN THE pakxyz/config!
diagonal_multiplier = 724

If they set diagonal_multiplier = 1024, then the alignment should be correct. pak64 uses diagonal_multiplier = 724.

otherwise applies

If the dimension is 32 pixels, the graphics should only have 30 pixels. Only in this way are the gaps between the vehicles.

passengerpigeon

Quote from: Frank on July 16, 2017, 11:01:24 AM
The graphic in this view is too long.

# how long is a diagonal (512: faktor 2=1024/512, old way, 724: sqrt(2)=1024/724
# THIS WILL BE ONLY USED, WHEN THIS FILE IS IN THE pakxyz/config!
diagonal_multiplier = 724

If they set diagonal_multiplier = 1024, then the alignment should be correct. pak64 uses diagonal_multiplier = 724.

Hmm. Is there a way around this, or is my only option to shorten the carriages on the side view because of the diagonal multiplier?

Ters

The alternative is to change the diagonal_multiplier for the pak set and then rescale the other vehicles to match. Some vehicles might not need it, because this is what I believe several vehicles in pak64 have wrong.

passengerpigeon

Quote from: Ters on July 16, 2017, 11:16:38 AM
The alternative is to change the diagonal_multiplier for the pak set and then rescale the other vehicles to match. Some vehicles might not need it, because this is what I believe several vehicles in pak64 have wrong.
Since I want other people to be able to use this add-on, it looks like I will have to give it the chop. How should I modify the side images in order to shorten them, as in, how many pixels do I need to remove?

Frank

30px = 2 pixel vehicle distance

28px = 4 pixel vehicle distance

For the alignment, it is more convenient to use the pak64 files as a template.