News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

bridgewater-brunel.me.uk - Simutrans-Experimental - Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.9.0

Started by jamespetts, November 20, 2012, 02:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

seems to only be on the server, as I cannot recreate the problem in a new local game.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

That's extremely odd... what happens when you are running on the server and disconnect (by saving locally, which will engender a desync); does the problem then persist?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

hmm, maybe the game simply needs to update the paths from their old one they had in 11.11?

With a local copy, after I manually reset their paths, they seem to properly use choose signals.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Yes, it's possible that the bug in 11.11 that was fixed in 11.12 would leave trains with bad paths that will eventually sort themselves out. Thank you for reporting this, though.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Carl

From some brief testing, it seems that trains will not use choose signals until they have completed a full "round trip" of their schedule. I couldn't override this by manually resetting their paths (assuming that by this you just mean opening and closing their schedule windows).

jamespetts

Is this a full round trip from loading from 11.11, or a full round trip from newly creating a schedule (either in a loaded game from 11.11 or a new game or both)?

ӔO

ah, yes, since freight is point to point, they cycle through their schedules quite quickly.

and I only use choose signals at terminals, so I generally don't have problems with trains getting stuck somewhere in the middle trying to use a choose signal.

Colour safe chart:

sdog

Quote from: asaphxiix on September 29, 2013, 10:16:06 PM
And I was wondering whether AEO's profession is a transportation engineer, or an engineer of another sort.
Quote from: asaphxiix on September 29, 2013, 10:16:06 PM
And I was wondering whether AEO's profession is a transportation engineer, or an engineer of another sort.
Living also in Toronto, I think I can definitely rule this out. The public transport here is in such a pitiful condition that AEO's involvemen in it is most unlikely. He'd either fixed it already or the local politics here would have driven him utterly and irrecoverably insane, deadly depressed, and misanthropic.

Being a planner here one would either have to be incompetent, ignorant or not care for one's work being destroyed every five years. To be stayed from scratch, doing exactly the opposite.

AP

Quote from: jamespetts on November 20, 2012, 02:30:23 AM

Screenshot of the map (when it was new):

Slight aside, but what map settings were used to generate this map. I quite like it...

jamespetts

Gosh, you know, I can't remember now. I think that the map number was one of the ones that SDog posted a while ago, but I can't remember which now.

ӔO

Colour safe chart:

dustNbone

Just tried to login to server game, it transfers map and loads but before it unpauses it desyncs.  Nothing on my end seems to be hanging up, CPU never gets maxed and once the server desyncs it's smooth as glass playing by myself.  Has anyone else recently had success connecting?

jamespetts

Have just tried logging in now, and I cannot reproduce the issue. The pause is normal as the server loads the game (it is not multi-threaded as I only rent one CPU, so loading takes longer), but I do not get the desync. What you describe is consistent with you using an older version of Experimental. Are you using 11.12 with Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.9.0?

dustNbone

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! My version should be OK, I pulled Master from Git and built it (Linux64) myself.  Running the prebuilt Linux32 binary gave me a protocol error without making any connection at all.   I see that the date has advanced to April, so someone is having success staying connected.  It's just me :)  Might be a problem in my compiler but it looked to go OK.  I did have to update my G++ from 4.6.? to 4.8 to get it to build so maybe something is gimpy here.  Currently having a go with the Windows binaries via WINE and failing that via native Win7.  Thanks for your attention.  Will get this sorted.

jamespetts

Ahh, the pre-built Linux binaries are currently not working alas. If you can work out what you did in compiling that caused the trouble, that would be helpful.

jamespetts

jamespetts

ӔO

Seems to run quite well, despite having stuck trains and lots of backed up passengers.

There don't seem to be that many bugged out trains, so the network ought to run fine once they are cleared.

Colour safe chart:

wlindley

With this game now in the year 2029, we are past the introduction of anything new. Is there a plan for restarting in the 1700s with the current pak and rules?

jamespetts

That is an interesting question. There have been numerous pakset changes on my Github branch (but not released) since this server was upgraded to 0.9.0 (and we will recall that it was actually started with 0.8.4, and retains some settings from that time), and there is much to be said for starting any new game with a new version of the pakset, once that is released.

Another thing to take into account is that Bernd has been working on merging the latest changes from Standard, which will include double heights - once we start a single height map, it will not be upgradeable to double height, which, given that these games last a long time, is a potential issue.

I should be interested in people's views on these questions.

ӔO

maybe a short game starting from 1880?

I have seen two bugs while playing on a new map yesterday.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm, may I ask why 1880? One of the things that has yet to be tested in online play is the canal era. As to the bugs - would you mind posting bug reports for each? I should be most grateful.

greenling

Hello Jamespetts
I Have read that you want build in the double height code in pak128.Britain exp!
Those code bringing noting as trouble!
The double height code they in the latest pak128 nightly and pak128.Britain nightly it can not load old samegames they have
a highentry from tile_height=16 have.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

I don't think that that's a good reason never to incorporate this feature from Standard, is it? It will allow great flexibility and depth of play as regards gradients.

greenling

Hello Jamespetts
Since the double height code in the Latest pak128 nightly and pak128.Britain nightly from Simutrans standart gives, can i not more
load old gamesave.A transfer from a old gamesave in a Nightly with double high code need a complet new build of transportnetwork.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

ӔO

1750 would be fine too, but I found that profitable industries were far and few in between, with the main requirement being easily connected by sea.

Coal was simply too unprofitable and the chain industries sprouted up too distantly inland for canal boat or horse and cart to be useful.

Colour safe chart:

asaphxiix

I think the question is whether anyone is playing the online game these days? If not, there's much to be said for starting a new game, at any year, and perhaps deciding in advance to restart, come the new major version / pak.

I find the current game irrelevant, as I said before mostly because of the rather obsolete station coverage.

Just out of curiosity, any far fetched / large scale ideas regarding the schedule about the new pak/major release?

jamespetts

AEO - interesting. I have substantially reduced the cost of boatyards for the next version, which might help. May I ask - what do you think lead to the transport of coal by canal being unprofitable? Would it be enough just to seed a greater number of industries?

Asaph - yes, I understand what you mean about the current game being rather obsolete now, although I daresay that it was fun while it lasted. Your idea about having a game that may well be stopped short and restarted is one that I had contemplated, too. I am interested in others' views on this generally.

Greenling - I am aware of the backwards compatibility issue. However, short of making the last version compatible with single height saved games available for download in perpetuity (which should be easy enough), I fear that there is little that can be done; but this is not a reason to get in the way of progress, I think.

As to scheduling, this is hard to predict, as it is very difficult to know in advance how long that any given task will take. If there is strong support for starting a new online game now even though it may be stopped short whenever a new major release becomes available, then I might well expedite pakset work (I do wish to recalibrate warehouse and industry storage capacities before releasing the next pakset (minor) version, on the basis of Jando's reports of problems in this area, and also look into finishing rescaling earlier steam locomotives, as the current mismatched set looks bad).

ӔO

I think I lost my train of thought in the previous post.

What I meant to say was that Colliery to Coal merchant is the go-to for a profitable business in 1750.
The problem is finding a suitable pair with the way the industries distribute themselves. The vast majority of connections end up being extremely distant for the convoy speeds of the time, which is a bit unrealistic.
For industries that require a chain, this problem is exacerbated.

Horse and cart Passenger transport in 1750 is doable, but requires living off of interest

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Ahh, I see. Would a higher number of industries help, do you think?

ӔO

I think having a higher number of cross connects or always cross connect would solve the problem.

Colour safe chart:

Sarlock

Perhaps... 1750 games are heavily water based for quite a while in the early years (which is also realistic historically).

I've been wanting to participate in the online game for a couple of months now but have been biding my time until a reset as after a couple of attempts at starting a company late-game I was unable to make it profitable with such a small amount of starting capital (speedbonus is too high by that point and a starting player doesn't have the capital to be able to purchase any high speed vehicles or ways).

Given the updates to come with Standard merging and other items, I don't think anyone will mind a game that just lasts a few weeks.  If you want to test the canals, we could make a canal-based map (no water, just a land map with lots of rivers), set the year to 1750 and go nuts with canal infrastructure a la Britain in the 18th century.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

jamespetts

Interesting thoughts - thank you. I don't know how long that a short term game will last, as I do not know how long that it will be before the next major release is available, but it is likely to be months rather than weeks, so a full sized map is probably preferable to a small one.

Sarlock

That sounds reasonable.  Whether the game is 6 weeks or 30 weeks, just start a normal length/speed game and we'll decide when it's time to upgrade - I don't think anyone will mind much knowing that a reset is in the semi-near future.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

jamespetts

That is helpful. I shall still wait until the next minor release of both code and pakset, however, to address the known bugs in 11.14 and the issues with warehouse balancing.