News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Back to Simutrans after a while - a couple of questions on the newer nightlies

Started by Lord Vetinari, June 15, 2011, 07:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Vetinari

So, last time I played Simutrans was around Christmas or something like that. I downloaded a newer version few weeks ago, and I saw some differeces:

1 - cities grow wheter they are served by some means of transport or not. They are, however, all linked by intercity roads. Is this an expected behaviour or a bug? I'm pretty sure that last time I played only cities with some kind of stop had growth.

2 - has there been some changes in the signal built in the railway stations? If yws, what changes? I loaded an old game, and all the network grinded to a halt because trains were stuck at some stations. I am 100% sure that those stations worked correctly last time I played. This is important, I'd like to know if I have to change something in how I organize my railways.

3 - Just a curiosity. Sometimes I see impossible speed records. I say impossible because they are higher than the top speed of the vehicle, and sometimes higher than the top speed allowed by the way it's running on. I never paid much attention to speed records, so it' entirely possible that this happened before. How does this stuff work?

Is there some place where I can find a changelist for the nightlies, so that next time I can figure out things like those by myself?

prissi

- Signals had recently some bugs. You may want to try a new nightly.

- Town growth should not occur with service or at least a stop.

- Speed records can be achieved downhill, if the train is very heavy and can exceed normal speed (up to 10% is also allowed for real life train operation).

Lord Vetinari

Thanks for the answers. I just downloaded r4636, I'll give it a try.

Dwachs

Quote from: Lord Vetinari on June 15, 2011, 07:23:52 PM
1 - cities grow wheter they are served by some means of transport or not. They are, however, all linked by intercity roads. Is this an expected behaviour or a bug? I'm pretty sure that last time I played only cities with some kind of stop had growth.
Cities grow also when you transport goods from/to industries, which 'belong' to the city, ie the industry gets workers from these cities.
Is there some place where I can find a changelist for the nightlies, so that next time I can figure out things like those by myself?
There is a history.txt in nightly package.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Lord Vetinari

Quote from: Dwachs on June 16, 2011, 06:59:58 AM
Cities grow also when you transport goods from/to industries, which 'belong' to the city, ie the industry gets workers from these cities.
I forgot to check that, but the cities I saw growing are very far from the network that I developed. How far can a town be from "it's" industry?

Dwachs

As long as the factory accepts workers from the town, such towns will grow if you transport goods from/to the factory.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

TrainMith

Is it just me, or is the 110-0-1 version on sourceforge.net lacking the history.txt file?  Or any *.txt in the base directory, for that matter?