News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

How to encourage population growth in a city?

Started by Severous, September 27, 2011, 06:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severous

Does anyone know if these actions encourage city growth?  (Pak64 downloaded 2 weeks ago - no mods)

- Adding roads to existing city road network. To provide road frontage for new buildings to appear?
- Creating optimum city block sizes. Say 3x2 plots surrounded by roads? Does any size work better than others?
- Ensuring that all city plots are next to a road. Eg. Having no blocks like 3x3 where the central plot is not adjacent to a road.
- Removing trees from vacant building plots that are adjacent to city roads?
- Removing slopes and hills from the city. Level ground for buildings?
- Demolishing low quality/low density buildings so the city can build better ones? Particularly when the plot is central and well served by transport.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you share.
Sev.
Regards
Sev.

ӔO

build your network so that you cover all the buildings in that city.
Preferably not with one whole station, but many small ones.

building roads will cause the city to spread out thin and the total population does not change, so the city won't build up a concentrated center until it stops expanding outwards.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Vonjo

None of them makes city grows faster. But it will make the city easier to manage.

To increase growth, you should serve more passanger and factory in the city.

Dwachs

Quote from: Severous on September 27, 2011, 06:12:08 PM
- Adding roads to existing city road network. To provide road frontage for new buildings to appear?
- Creating optimum city block sizes. Say 3x2 plots surrounded by roads? Does any size work better than others?
- Removing trees from vacant building plots that are adjacent to city roads?
- Removing slopes and hills from the city. Level ground for buildings?
These actions have no effect.
Quote from: Severous on September 27, 2011, 06:12:08 PM
- Ensuring that all city plots are next to a road. Eg. Having no blocks like 3x3 where the central plot is not adjacent to a road.
This is the only action in the list that will have a positive effect: Since most of the rules to build houses require an adjacent piece of road.
- Demolishing low quality/low density buildings so the city can build better ones? Particularly when the plot is central and well served by transport.
This has imho negative consequences: New buildings are always with lowest level and will be continuously upgraded. Ofc, you can demolish low level buildings at the cities perimeter to decrease city area.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Fabio

I'm moving this thread to the discussion board, as it's not pakset specific

Severous

Thank you all for the replies so far.

I do believe that adding roads to the area surrounding a city helps.  In all the games ive played when passenger travels are high it doesn't seem to take long before roads have new buildings along them. 

Dwachs said "most of the rules to build houses require an adjacent piece of road". 
- By adding roads am I helping the game meet its rules for placing new buildings?

I also have a theory that a city has an invisible currency of growth/construction.  If there are no suitable roads it has to spend some of that growth 'currency' building new roads, leveling land, clearing trees etc.  By doing that with my own funds Ive ensuring the city has more 'currency' to construct new buildings.  A fantasy or is something like that going on?...or am I remembering something for a similar game?

Regards
Sev.