News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

industry, com and res to close how to change cityrules

Started by Adonijah, December 22, 2008, 06:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adonijah

Hello I have been playing simutrans for about 2 years and I like all the new goodies but in the latest nightly it seems on bigger maps all the com res and ind are packed up real tight and there are big empty spaces, What I would like to do is keep the com and res close keep res from res so there not to close and industry spreed out away from each other and away from res and com, I would like to know what i would have to set the city rules to or if i need to space out res and ind using the min space setting, most of the time i run 512x512 up with about 30 citys and 60 ind in the menu setting. I am using the newest 1.00 nightly with the 128pak if it matters and my settings of now are.

# avoid building next to industry
res_start_score = 0
res_near_ind = -8
res_near_com = 1
res_near_res = 8

# everywhere is good, next to com best
com_start_score = -10
com_near_ind = 1
com_near_com = 8
com_near_res = 2

# next to res means expensive filters and no truck after 10 pm => avoid this ...
ind_start_score = 0
ind_near_ind = 8
ind_near_com = 0
ind_near_res = -8

# how far cities should be minimum apart (default 16)
minimum_city_distance = 32

# ???   <--- this was 3 ?s
factory_spacing = 6

Also i have 4gb ddr 3 1gb ddr3 video and 3.0 dual core so i should be able to run big maps with alot of stuff so keep that in mind and thank you for any help i get.

Frank

Quote from: Adonijah on December 22, 2008, 06:10:40 PM
# ???   <--- this was 3 ?s
factory_spacing = 6

version 0.99.15

QuoteADD: minimum factory distances more stongly enforced. Configurable via simuconf.tab (factory_spacing, default 6)

prissi

Dual core wont help you and the new graphics board neither.

But back to topic. You can try to tweak these values slightly, because they have a strong effect.

However, industry does mean industrial buildings not the industries you have to deliver. But I am not sure that I understand your question.

Adonijah

What about version 99.15  I thought I had 100.1-2174   I got it from http://simutrans-germany.com/~nightly/simutrans/index.php?lang=en  sry about that if i was wrong.

I want to keep industries away from industries and cities away from cities and when it says com I'm thinking it means commercial as in supermarkets, and it would be nice if they were near cities but away from industries I have just started looking at these today and I could not find min or max values or clearly what they meant so I posted what I thought would do what I wanted in hopes for clarification if it would or if that was possible but it seems i need to know what they mean 2. You know what they say about assumptions.

DirrrtyDirk

"ind", "res" and "com" are all just city buildings - they have nothing to do with those industries whose goods you're supposed to transport.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Adonijah

Wow Im sry I feel im wasting your time since I have no idea what things are I will just cope I guess thanks for tryin.

Lmallet

Welcome to the forum Adonijah!

Looks like you've had a rough start on the forum.  It seems there is a misunderstanding of your question.  Don't feel like you are wasting our time asking questions, Simutrans can be intimidating sometimes.

What Prissi and DirrtyDirk are trying to say is don't confuse factory/supply chains and city buildings.  Ind, res and com are city specific buildings, and only generate mail and passengers.  Factory chains are what creates the goods in Simutrans.  So the confusion seems to stem from what the word "industry" means to you.  Industries in Simutrans refer to the ones built within cities, and not factories.

So, in regards to simuconf.tab, the sections regarding res, com and ind gives the city a list of rules to follow, in order to avoid an industrial building from being next to a residential building.  I will venture in unknown territory here, but to me factory_spacing either means distance between factories, or how close to a city a factory can build.  That being said, once it is built, there seems to be nothing to prevent it from the city from building up to the factory.

As Prissi said, feel free to play with the values, but keep in mind that a little will go a long way (so don't use a value of 100, you just need to go up or down one or two to get results).  Different players like different things, so these decisions are truly yours to make (which is one of the beauties of Simutrans, you can tweak a lot of things!).

I hope this clarifies things a bit.   ;)