News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

PakBritain - to-do list

Started by The Hood, February 07, 2009, 01:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

Narrow gauge would be quite a large project (requiring track, depots, stations, vehicles, signals, tunnels, bridges).  I'd recommend getting your eye in with some additions for other vehicles or buildings first, and once you've got the hang of it then maybe start on narrow gauge.

OliverNo11

I think I will start with a station building, I'll look this weekend for a good prototype, and a tutorial on how to make it.
Long live trains!

The Hood

I'd recommend using blender for consistency - and also then you can use existing buildings as a starting point.  I can send you any of the files if you want to work from these, along with some more detailed instructions about how to convert into simutrans images.

jamespetts

I can vouch that the easiest way of doing things by far is starting with existing Blender files and modifying them.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

OliverNo11

Quote from: The Hood on September 14, 2010, 08:55:32 PM
I'd recommend using blender for consistency - and also then you can use existing buildings as a starting point.  I can send you any of the files if you want to work from these, along with some more detailed instructions about how to convert into simutrans images.
I would very much like that hood pm me some instructions when you find the time.
Long live trains!

The Hood

Oliver, for some reason I can't get sending you a PM to work.  Anyway it's not confidential information, so I'll post it here.

Thanks for considering drawing stuff for pak128.Britain.  At this stage, I'd say the first thing is get used to how to use blender.  I taught myself enough blender to use simutrans by following this online tutorial: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

The main skills I use are creating shapes, moving nodes, assigning colours and textures, and rendering.  However, it is probably easiest for making pak128.Britain models if you take an existing blend file which has the correct lighting, camera and render settings already set up, and modify that (it's also often easier to create one model by modifying another as well).  I suggest you pick an object from the current set that is close to the object you want to create, and ask me for the blend for that object.  I'll send more detailed instructions on how to get from the blender model to a simutrans pak file then.

Good luck!

OliverNo11

Thanks Hood, I think that its not much harder than Auto-CAD after I looked at the book you gave me a link to, thanks. I will look over the files and see if I can find something similar.
Long live trains!

jamespetts

This list is a little out of date, I notice, as several of the things marked as "to do" are done...

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

fam621

jamespetts

I doubt it, since The Hood has mostly retired from pakset development.