News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

CPU surge

Started by Rollmaterial, December 04, 2017, 06:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollmaterial

In this save, after the next month begins, CPU usage surges and the game freezes.

.sve: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NRvgzoxwhKhI0BCJ8PXbtnRU3JFakCCW/view?usp=sharing

jamespetts

I have spent some considerable time looking into this just now. I am still not sure exactly what is behind this: the performance profiler shows that it is the passenger generation code that is taking up most of the CPU's time after the new month - but the passenger generation code is also taking up most of the CPU's time before the new month, and the game is rather more responsive then.

I have, however, pushed an optimisation fix which should make the passenger generation code more efficient. On my debug build, it seems only to make a slight difference, but it might be more noticeable on a release build.

I should be grateful if you could let me know whether things are any better with to-morrow's nightly build.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Rollmaterial

While it did slightly improve performance, the surge still occurs and makes the game barely any more playable.

jamespetts

Thank you for re-testing this. Can I check whether you have changed any of the default settings? This might help me in tracking down the cause of the issue.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Rollmaterial

Please do so, do you need my config files?

jamespetts

If you could just summarise what changes that you have made, that would be helpful.

Rollmaterial

The map is legacy from before 13.0 (obviously). It has meters_per_tile = 117, citycar_level = 1, passenger_trips_per_month_hundredths = 100, max_onward_trips = 3, onward_trip_chance_percent = 90 and commuting_trip_chance_percent = 67 as far as I can remember which settings I altered.

jamespetts

I have just fixed a bug which I believe was largely responsible for this error, causing the number of alternative destinations to be excessive when the number was re-evaluated at the end of the month.

I also find that reducing the percentage of onward trips from 80 to the default of 25 significantly improves performance.

I should be grateful if you could let me know whether this is improved with to-morrow's nightly build.