News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

testing a compiled version of the code

Started by omikron, February 05, 2012, 07:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omikron

This might seem like a novice question, but it is quite a long time since I did any kind of programming. I have downloaded MSVC and all the other necessary parts to help develop the gaming engine as described here: forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=652.0 (Thanks VS!) It is not completely up to date, but I managed to work my way around the difficulties.

Then, I even managed to compile my own version of simutrans, but it won't start, since apart from the root directory, there are no pak files etc. installed in the 'debug' directory. Can I have some help finding a solution to this problem?

Possible solutions:

a. I could copy all the subdirectories from my release version to the debug folder.
b. I could start simutrans with a different working directory (I haven't been able to find out how to do that yet though)

Can anybody help?

omikron

prissi

The is the switch -use_workdir

Thus set in the debugger the workidr to "C:\Programmesimutrans" or where your exe is.

Add "-use_workdir" as first option in the command line.

omikron

Thanks, prissi. Unfortunately, that won't work. I've tried numerous alternative spellings etc.

The executives are at d:\games\simutrans, but 'simutrans -use_workdir d:\games\simutrans' won't work. What am I doing wrong?

omikron

VS

I tried this and thought that it is broken, but then realized that this works with inverse logic. The program starts, looks up where is the executable and does chdir to there, so that it can read the game files, regardless where is it started from. But if you add -use_workdir, it will work in the starting directory. No paths are passed as a parameter anywhere!

Of course, one has to understand that "working directory" and "directory with executable" are two things. So... yeah. Thus:

1) One solution is to copy the executable to the directory with pakset and everything, and start it from there. Can't debug, though ::(

2) The other is to add -use_workdir, so to do this:
a) Open the property/configuration editor for the project
b) Go to page "debugging"
c) Command arguments = -use_workdir, Working directory = D:\Hry\Simutrans\111.0 or whatever you use.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

omikron

But I want to run the version I just compiled, with the paksets etc. from the release version I have stored somewhere else.

Or maybe 'stehe ich auf dem Schlauch' ("I'm standing on the hose")

omikron

PS. Sorry, didn't see the rest of your post, VS

VS

Sorry, I edited my message several times. The picture attached now is probably the best answer :D

edit: To be fair, I was rather confused first, too :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

omikron

Well, I'm sorry to say, it still did not work. I'm going to sleep now, but maybe I have better luck next time I find the time to try.

If anybody has anymore tips, I'd be happy to hear them.

Good night everybody!

omikron

prissi

As VS wrote: You must enter in this red box the directory, where your standard simutrans paks are.

DO NOT ENTER THE PATH TO YOUR COMPILED PROGRAM THERE!

omikron

I don't want to continue bothering you, but it still doesn't work:

a. I have entered the necessary information in the Debug-Configuration properties - the same as VS had in his post (with my normal simutrans-executables folder, obviously)

b. I select 'build solution' and MSVC creates an executable and many other files (in total 212 Mb) in the 'Debug'-folder.

c. When I try to run the executable 'simutrans.exe', it tells me that '*** no pakset found *** etc.'

d. If I copy the compiled executable to the 'normal' directory, it works

I would still enjoy any tips how to enable the first version. Thanks!

omikron

VS

Maybe we can try an inverse problem ;) Can you post a screenshot of this dialog, as you have it set up?

edit: One more remark! These options are used only if you start your executable from within MSVC. The green "play" button.

edit2: I have invested too much to not get to the end :P Knowing how to show this to others would be extremely helpful, as it can become a standard reply - "see: [thread link]".

Spike

Try this:

- Install Simutrans 111.1 and a pak set of your choice
- Make sure it runs
- Compile your binary
- Copy the binary into your simutrans installation, e.g. as simu_new.exe
- Try to run it. It should work if your compile was good.

I haven't gotten -use_workdir to work for me eitehr, but I blamed my mix of cygwin (cygwin/unix paths) and windows (windows path) to make it fail an dhaven't debugged it further. Copying the exe is now part of my build process and works good enough for me.

omikron

And again, VS, you had the tip that made my compilation work. I didn't think abuot the option of starting the game from within MSVC.....

It works now, thank you all very much. Also Hajo's suggestion worked, though...

Do you want me to write a checklist for dummies, how to make a compilation work, something akin to VS's checklist in the other thread?

omikron

VS

Maybe?

BTW, you can also create a shortcut to the exe and edit it like these options :)