News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

"to attract more tourists __ built a parish church"

Started by AP, April 21, 2012, 04:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hmm. got this message scroll across in-game. Am pretty sure churches and other "attractions" were not actually built to attract tourists. "to demonstrate their piety" or "due to a misguided belief in imaginary creatures" perhaps! Just thought I'd point out that it might be worth updating that. Not sure we need to give reasons (nice though they are)... "London built a church" would suffice?

jamespetts

Hmm, these are generic attraction messages and do not vary depending on the nature of the attraction being built. Would there be merit, do you think, in making the attraction messages more plain?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

I think so. It just struck me as a bit of an unsuitable, hence I bothered to post it. If it's a generic message, that would explain it.

For beginners I can see the logic in noting that it attracts tourists ... but that's not the reason it was built, rather the consequence of it. I doubt we need to point that out every time.

Fabio

"to attract more visitors?"

Many churches were built to attract pilgrims, think of "the pillars of the earth".

Or even

"London started attracting more visitors after they built..."

The Hood

As the same message is used for anything coded as a curiosity I've gone for: "XXX built a YYY - council leaders hope this will attract more visitors"

jamespetts

Might I suggest that you add "that" between "hope" and "this"?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Carl

FWIW, I encountered this issue with pak64.exp and went for the following:

"In %s, a new %s has been built."

Since quite a few attractions have little to do with tourists (especially in pak64.exp), this seemed like a better wording.

sdog

Quote from: AP on April 21, 2012, 04:23:51 PM
Hmm. got this message scroll across in-game. Am pretty sure churches and other "attractions" were not actually built to attract tourists.

i wouldn't be so sure about that. there was a high medieval boom in building cathedrals after a city became extremely rich after building one (i think it was santiago de compostela). Not so certain, perhaps they had not only their eternal wellbeing in mind, but also the more transient one. :-P

the point is good however, the same would be true for schools and many other attractions. Instead of attract you could say "City Council expects a rise in passenger numbers."

Fabio

The Hood