News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Nice Pak128.Britain!

Started by isidoro, January 29, 2012, 03:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isidoro

It was a long, long time since I played Simutrans from the last time.  To give an example, "new" features for me have been:

• those wonderful rivers
  • the sliced view
  • the new optimized rendering algorithm to get away from a lot of glitches
  • a lot fewer traffic jams
  • the option to prevent cities from growing in their dialog
  • etc., etc.
But this time I tried Pak128.Britain and I liked it very much.  So, congratulations to the authors.
I specially like:

• those extended station coverage area that makes life much easier in the boring tasks
  • the general feeling of colors, buildings, countryside,...
  • time seemed to go slower and I liked it
  • the pak seems centered on passengers and mail and it is easier to deal with industry
  • the narrow gauge train
  • that huge amount of vehicles...
Things that, in my opinion, would make it even better:

• that huge amount of vehicles  ;) (it makes it very difficult to choose one among so many, specially without a sorting mechanism in the program)
  • some of them are clearly better than the others, so I always use them.  For example, for buses, "The Guy Special" at 80 km/h and so cheap (0.12 c/km), for locomotives, the GWR 1400 Class 0-4-2T (only 0.26 c/km)
  • the same applies to bridges.  The tubular box girder railway bridge is very, very cheap (0.1 c to build, 0.04 c to maintain, 120 km/h).  So, why use other?
  • the narrow gauge train lacks bridges

The Hood

Thanks for the praise and feedback!

In fact I just uploaded some more bridges to SVN yesterday and changed the bridge balancing so the placeholder values for the tubular box girder are now set to something more sensible. I think there is also a narrow gauge bridge in the nightly now (there is certainly one in my dev version!). As for the vehicle running costs, that is a very large job so I'm putting it off for the time being until we've got the full range of vehicles for all modes and then just do it all in one go.

It would be nice to have a more customisable filter system in the depots, but it's not too bad if you uncheck "show all" and have the timeline on.