News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Crash with pak128 compiled under linux

Started by gauthier, April 18, 2017, 08:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier

I don't know if the problem is related to code for linux, to makeobj or to simutrans itself, in fact I don't really understand what's going on ... here is the situation:

With Simutrans rr8198, the game crashes upon loading a particular savegame in the cases listed below, other savegames load fine:
_ pak128 2.6 as downloadable on source forge (compiled under windows 7): OK
_ pak128 in its current state on SVN, compiled under windows 7: OK
_ pak128 in its current state on SVN, compiled with makeobj 60 for linux (compiled here too): CRASH
_ pak128 in its current state on SVN, compiled with makeobj 55.3 for linux (downloadable on source force): CRASH

No error message, the crash is a segmentation fault.

The compiling of pak128 under windows is done with a batch file, the compiling under linux is done with a makefile. This makefile was not up to date and was producing non working paksets until yesterday when I spent some hourse to rewrite it completely so as to reproduce the same steps as in the batch file. So far I think it's correct since my other savegames load well.

Before I need to upload my savegame, is it possible to get some verbose things from Simutrans to have more information on what happened before the crash ?

Vladki

Do you have the latest nightly of both simutrans and makeobj? There was recently a bug fixed that causes such crashes. I don't remember the exact revision when it was fixed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Dwachs

There was a change to makeobj in r8199, which may or may not fix the crash. Can you please upload the savegame anyway? Then I could try to compile pak128 and test.

You could try to start simutrans with '-debug 3', but usually it does not help too much.

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

gauthier

After doing some tests with simutrans rr8213 under linux and under windows, with pak128 compiled with makeobj 55.3/4 and makeobj 60 under linux and windows, using official makeobj releases when available and self compilings otherwise: all tests with pak128 built under windows were OK and all tests with pak128 built under linux crashed.

I thought that my makefile for pak128 could be the problem, I tried replacing some pak files that are not straight-forward-to-obtain (more than a single line of makeobj call) with the same from working paksets without success. After reading the stderr output of simutrans, I tried replacing pakfiles related to citybuildings, without success too.

I don't have a place to upload files (savegame and debug logs) at the moment (without spending again a bunch of minutes creating an account, etc ... and I'm quite bored at the moment), will upload them as soon as possible.

EDIT:
my savegame
stdout
stderr

An_dz

@Dwachs
The makeobj crash fix at r8199 was a fix for a bug introduced in r8171, which both are before the last stable makeobj release, so if you are using stable makeobjs it's not a problem. This bug is somewhere else.

Edit:
Ok, there are no releases for stable makeobj for Linux. For such you need to make sure you have a makeobj compiled with a revision lower than r8171 or higher than r8199.

An_dz

If you did checkout with SVN:
svnversion

If you did with Git:
git show
In the message log the number is shown in /trunk@8211

But the bug is not about my changes, because you've compiled with 55.3 from sources at SourceForge, it's lower than r8171.

Dwachs

There seems to be a problem with the makefile: some pak files only are 69Bytes 'large'. Most notably airports.misc, townhalls, pedestrians.

gauthier

pedestrians, townhalls and airports.misc are compiled as pak128, I can read it explictly in make's logs. The only graphics which are not compiled as pak128 are:
powerlines (pak176)
planes (pak176)
boats (pak250)

Dwachs

These three pak files are almost empty, something wrong with the makefile.

Ters

Could it be an upper/lower case issue? That would only appear on Linux, but not on Windows.

gauthier

I should have checked that earlier ... Thanks for pointing this out. Again: ... an error message with makeobj compiling empty pak files would be great :p

EDIT: these three files had mistyping in their makefile's rule, fixed and running great. Thanks for your help !

Vladki

Yesterday I tried compiling simutrans, makeobj (r8214) and pak128 (r1989) from SVN on Linux, and It worked fine.  Thanks for fixing the Makefile.