News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Oil Refinery and Power Station

Started by Grouchy, November 13, 2016, 07:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouchy

Howdy. 
My first game, started in 1960, and I have some confusion with the oil industry.

The power station consumes oil faster than it can be unloaded from the tankers and the consumption doesn't seem to be affected by the demand.  Power is only produced while the train is unloading.  A rough guess is that it uses around 6,000 US gallons of fuel oil per game minute based on a train unloading 186 cubic meters over 8 minutes .  That seems excessive.
On top of that, the refineries have a low fuel oil production ratio compared to petrol which needs more refining.

I have 3 wells (12K per month) and 1 refinery (22K) going full tilt trying to supply the nearest power station around 100 tiles away to get about 16-20 minutes worth of power per hour to boost the wells and refinery to help feed the station.  A circular spiral to bankruptcy.
I assume trams and such need a steady power supply to function ( I haven't built any yet ).

Is this intentional?

Thanks,
Grouchy

jamespetts

Hello and welcome to the forums. I am sorry that you are having trouble. Can you let me know which version of the game and pakset that you are using so that I can try to assist?

Incidentally, there is currently no relationship between the power supplied to cities/factories and electric for trams, trolleybuses and trains, partly because this would involve quite a lot of complexities (not all of which are immediately obvious) to both player and coder.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Grouchy

Hi James and thank you for your work making a challenging game.

I just installed the complete package a few days ago. 
112.3 / 11.35  64-Bit on Windows 7
Pak128.Britain Experimental 9.1

Also, when I got to -5 million I started playing with some config.tab settings (before I found the "I" key menu) to lessen the bleeding and now the game locks up for a bit every so often then recovers.   Mostly I reduced city cars to spur PAX, bumped beginner bonus and set the override save-game flags to 1.  I also have the standard version installed and wasn't aware at the time that both versions shared the same DIR in My Documents.  I wonder if I corrupted the map somehow by cross loading config data.

DrSuperGood

Experimental is only really available via development builds at the moment. The last "stable" is so out of date and has so many problems one can expect things to not work. Even the development builds have problems, it really is experimental!

The issue described sounds like a possible balancing issue with the pakset. It is very easy to set numbers on factories such that a production chain becomes nonsense. That said it should still be profitable if one can make profit from shipping the good in the first place.

jamespetts

Thank you for letting me know - that is helpful. As Dr. Supergood says, the released stable versions are currently out of date, and much has been improved since they were released, including a complete re-balancing of industry production/consumption in Pak128.Britain-Ex. You can get work in progress development builds of both executable and pakset on this forum, kindly produced by some Simutrans-Experimental enthusiasts who are able to compile from the sources.

I am not sure about the changes that you have made to the advanced settings since you have not posted much detail (although this may be caused by a bug long since fixed). You may be better off at present attempting to play with the newer executable and pakset, which is slowly becoming more stable than the old branch was when work on it finished about two years ago.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Grouchy

Ah.. I wasn't aware the status of the stable version.
I have installed 120.1.2 / 12.9 and the latest compiled Britain DEV pak I could find.
A whole new learning curve to climb and my approach to using signals resembles a 6 y.o. playing Whack-A-Mole.

Already I have an issue of passengers totally ignoring me.  I don't know if that's a program or a pakset thing so I don't know what forum I should address.  Are all the DEV issues lumped together or does this forum cover the Dev version of the packset?

Thanks again.

jamespetts

The development version is, as the name implies, still under development, although the number of users here reporting problems whenever they arise does help to make it fairly stable most of the time.

As to the signals, I am slowly putting together a series of video tutorials on how to use the various different working methods: see here for more information on that. Please let me know how helpful that you find the videos.

As to passengers ignoring you, can you give a little more detail about this issue?

Thank you very much for your feedback so far: it is much appreciated.