News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

[in devloppement] High buildings

Started by gauthier, November 02, 2008, 07:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CareBearer

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 45 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

Sorry, but I came up with an idea, for another high building.

HMH (Highrise Multiple Houses) stacked upon one another, complete with their own Huge gardens, garages etc.(Passenger level: around 150, Mail level: around 50) *
SMH (Skyscraper Multiple Houses) stacked upon one another, complete with their own Huge gardens, garages etc. (Passenger level: around 550, Mail level: around 150) *

I'm sure, maybe, somewhere in the future it might be a usefull solution for the world overpopulation problem... :-X

EDIT: * instead of having apartments, we could have a whole lands for houses on each levels and as above

gauthier

As you can see this project is suspended, I don't develop it for the moment. But I notice your ideas, they're very good ;)
For the passengers level, it would be level=80 : if I put a higher level, big cities will build only these buildings, if I put a lower one, you won't see them in big cities.

You can also draw them and purpose your pictures ;)

idan44

I don't wish to distrbute but I saw a wrong. In the uploaded file you said dubai burj while it needs to be the opposite. ( In Arabic and Hebrew first is the topic and than the adjectives...

Oh and maybe you should try something easier first as Azrieli tower or Aviv tower? ( Aviv tower is the second highest building in the middle east. )

Beder : There are many high and short buildings... Belive me I saw a few...

Oh and I almost forget - The graphic is pretty nice. :)
When playing Simutrans, building a train or roads we must remember that Gilad can't do it for 4 years...

CareBearer

Sorry for the long non-response time, gauthier and many thanks for the reply. :)
Quote from: gauthier on May 14, 2010, 12:51:49 PM
But I notice your ideas, they're very good ;)
Thanks. :) ;)
Quote from: gauthier on May 14, 2010, 12:51:49 PM
For the passengers level, it would be level=80 : if I put a higher level, big cities will build only these buildings, if I put a lower one, you won't see them in big cities.
What about the other levels, besides the passengers level? Probably, Mail Level 40 for SMH and 20 for HMH? Right??

gauthier

Actually, in .dat files I set only one level : 80 for the higher version of each building. I do so to allow cities to build multiple buildings at the higher level.
Passenger's level and post's level depends on the building type (residential, commercial or industrial).

@idan : I don't really understand your first sentance ... but I'm sure to have never talked about dubai burj or other towers you mentionned :D I think these kind of buildings should better be monuments than citybuildings. But I take note of the three buildings you mentionned ;)

QuoteThe graphic is pretty nice.
I completely disagree : most of the buildings I made for high buildings project are completely ugly, that's why I planned to remake all of them (after French stuff project and MLM dev. big updating ...).

Václav

Most ugly buildings are inside group of IND. But inside groups RES and COM it is not so bad. I only don't understand being of some buildings.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

gauthier

COM_SNFOS_9 is not very nice
COM_SNFOS_8b needs a GOOD anti-aliasing  ;D
COM_SNFOS_6 is too simple for me
COM_SNFOS_5 is worse
COM_SNFOS_4 is ugly
COM_SNFOS_3 is a bit repetitive

I won't describe residential ones ...
For industrial, I find good only the second one, the first is completely ... how to say it ... too simple and not too nice  :-[, and for the third I didn't succeed in doint what I had in mind.

Václav

COM_SNFOS_9 - may be not perfect but still it is good. It's problem is height and mirror effect on southern wall.
COM_SNFOS_6 - I don't agree - but let be alive only _06_40. _06_80 is too high and repeating of basic part causes something what I don't how to say it. It needs better roof.
COM_SNFOS_5 - I agree.
COM_SNFOS_4 - I agree.
COM_SNFOS_3 - repetitive? I don't think so.

COM_SNFOS_13 - is very ugly. It should be eliminated.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

gauthier

I completely disagree for 13, its concept is a bit uneasy to understand with the eye but it's one of the nicest.

CareBearer

Quote from: gauthier on May 14, 2010, 09:11:50 PM
Actually, in .dat files I set only one level : 80 for the higher version of each building. I do so to allow cities to build multiple buildings at the higher level.
Passenger's level and post's level depends on the building type (residential, commercial or industrial).

It could be residential, commercial and industrial. So could you also have, a freight level to help nearby industries?

gauthier

No I can't have a freight level. Only industries can produce goods (or electricity ...).
The purpose of this project is to give very high buildings for big cities, RES and COM have max level of 80 and IND have a max level of 70, I don't take care if it gives what level for passengers or mails ...

paulo francis PF20

hello, I'm Paul ... wanted to download the buildings but I'm not consegindo posted, you can pass me the link to dawnload? recommended on this page is not working out ..
thank you!
Quote from: gauthier on February 28, 2009, 11:06:36 PM
Last buildings are now included in pak file downloadable here :
=> http://files.filefront.com/buildingSNFOS+Highzip/;13387189;/fileinfo.html

ALL old night problems are completely removed ;)

Unfortunately I have many problems with SNFOS website, joomla is full of bugs and I can't upload any pictures since the last update. I'm searching for an other software.
PF FRANCIS

gauthier

You can download them here :)
If you're good at painting things, you can get the sources too since I have no time to develop this project :/
=> http://www.simutrans-france.fr.nf/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=fr:building.snfos_high.pak

Fabio

I might try to complete them at a certain point for the official Pakset, although I would stick to the existing max level 60, in order to have highrises mixed to existing level 60 buildings.

The sources should be here: http://graphics.simutrans.com/thumbnails.php?album=51

gauthier

Most of them need to be improved/replaced.
However, I don't agree with sticking to max level 60, I started this project to go higher :/

Sarlock

We'd have to have enough buildings as a group to bump it higher, to avoid having a high-level city look monotonous.  Not sure how many different types we'd need, probably 8-10 for enough variety, including plazas/parks to break it up a bit.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

gauthier

QuoteWe'd have to have enough buildings as a group to bump it higher, to avoid having a high-level city look monotonous.  Not sure how many different types we'd need, probably 8-10 for enough variety, including plazas/parks to break it up a bit.

Then, make some at level 80  :D

Fabio

Quote from: Fabio on October 01, 2012, 10:24:48 AM
Currently all city buildings have a max level of 60.
I would change that according to the building type:

RES: 60
nothing changes, there is now a good variety of high level buildings.

COM: 80
so far nothing changes, but we might plan more downtown verticality for the future with a new set of highrises.

IND: 40
presently there are only 20 buildings with level > 40. This gives bad industrial areas in big and huge cities. Additionally, in real life industrial areas span a wider area and don't have many pax traffic apart from workers (which in Simutrans anyway go also to real factories).
Hence I suggest to downgrade those 20 buildings to levels 39 and 40 (10 each level). I could recode them if agreed.

Yes, we could go up to 80, but ONLY for commercial (COM) buildings.
We could also leapfrog from 60 to 80, so that the downtown will stick out of the surroundings (i.e. the city must be really big to upgrade a level 60 to a level 80 ;))
As Sarlock said, we need at least 10-15 towers to do it.

I've seen your towers and, yes, they need quite some work, but at least they are good raw material to work with (especially the glass sides, harder to paint effectively).

Ghost-cz

The download link on first page doesnt work...Can you please re-upload it? Thx

btw: All buildings look great

mEGa

Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

mEGa

Quote from: gauthier on February 03, 2013, 12:40:13 PM
That's odd ... the two links are exactly the same xD
I noticed too without any explanation...
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Djohaal

Those buildings are simply beautiful gauthier, what is your workflow? You do pixel art directly or you model them in some 3d software and then paint on top?

The big problem with supertall buildings is that the city building script doesn't support multi-tile buildings. Maybe we could do some of the more massive towers as tourist attractions?

gauthier

I used to directly pixel art these ones but I will (as soon as I have time for that) learn to use a 3d software to remake them.
I planed to remake these thiner, anyway your idea of making tourist attractions is interesting.

vorlon

*bump*

Sorry for waking up this old thread, but I noticed while going through these towers that one of them was corrupted and re-compiled it. This one is my favourites so I thought maybe someone else wants some vertical flavour for their cities as well:

download pak

I also feel that the general issue of tall commercial blocks has gotten topical again. Now that we have new roads, rails, terrain and especially Fabio's amazing residential buildings pak128 is near perfect. This makes the shortage of decent office towers stand out. Although the existing buildings are fine in themselves, many of them are out of scale or don't fit well into the general style of the pakset and most of all, all of them are shadowed by the larger residential buildings. I would take the task of modifying these (although not much is needed) or paint new ones if I had the skills, but I'm confident that we'll see progress on this matter someday...

Anyway, just thought I'd shed some light on this important matter. Thank you.  :)

gauthier

This addon is suspended for a while now, I'm surprised to see someone still interested in it. Thanks for your reporting and your recompiling (so I don't have to do it myself :p ).

QuoteThis makes the shortage of decent office towers stand out. Although the existing buildings are fine in themselves, many of them are out of scale or don't fit well into the general style of the pakset and most of all, all of them are shadowed by the larger residential buildings. I would take the task of modifying these (although not much is needed) or paint new ones if I had the skills, but I'm confident that we'll see progress on this matter someday...
I stopped high buildings since I found my drawing skills clearly insufficient for such large graphics. I would be glad to help again with high buildings for pak128 once I learned how to use a 3D software (blender or something else ...). Anyway I'm not doing that soon, I still have some French trains to draw, stations to work on, then maybe going back to MLM dev. ...

vorlon

Quote from: gauthierI'm not doing that soon, I still have some French trains to draw, stations to work on, then maybe going back to MLM dev. ...

I understand, and you have already done a great job with these buildings. I'd say that having an idea and a workable design might even be harder than the actual drawing phase.

But anyway, I simply wanted some to get some attention for these buildings (because many of them are definetely worth using in their current state) and for the need and demand that exists for more such designs. After all, it's a large community we have here.  ;)

Commander Noddy

Can anyone make more high-rise here? I really want more. In fact, I dont know how to make addons. Even after reading the tutorials D:

May The Force Be With You Always!

gauthier

Have you tried this one ? You can skip the "graphics" part if you already have graphic skills. Anyway, several graphic tutorials are proposed (there are three, one for basic pixel-art teaching, one for 3D with google sketchup, and there's also a link to a 3D blender tutorial on this forum).

Commander Noddy

Quote from: gauthier on August 08, 2014, 08:51:53 AM
Have you tried this one ? You can skip the "graphics" part if you already have graphic skills. Anyway, several graphic tutorials are proposed (there are three, one for basic pixel-art teaching, one for 3D with google sketchup, and there's also a link to a 3D blender tutorial on this forum).

Thanks Gauthier. If I have problems, I will ask you:D I hope I can make the first addon in a month XD

gauthier

This tutorial isn't that long, if you already have ideas for addons, you will make your first ones soon (in a couple of days I think).

I started painting addons some years ago, at this moment I was in holydays, but I was bored, so I started painting a greenish maglev on MS paint (without even thinking it would become an addon for pak128), it took me a couple of hours for the first vehicles. What's long is gaining experience. In order to see what I'm talking about, compare my first maglev trains from MLM dev. (which have even been improved since I first painted them) and my French trains. Here are two examples :

Commander Noddy