News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Why don't I get money from city power?

Started by accord2, October 03, 2017, 04:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

So, why do I connect to power lines to cities, if I don't get any money? Maybe it would be more fun if that was possible, isn't it more realistic?  ??? ;)
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

jamespetts

Can you upload a saved game in which this issue can reliably be reproduced so that I can look into it?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

accord2

Jando

Well, in a way you already get money when you connect power to towns, because the consuming industries in that town will have an increased demand for goods, thus you earn money by transporting more goods to consumers in that town (and thus also more raw materials to industries producing these goods). I always thought that was the intention, haha.

Of course that means - and it was how I played - that connecting towns without consumers to the power grid will lose you money. Thus I only connected towns with consumers (preferably hardware shops) to the power grid. Why hardware shops? Because it's the best of the low demand consumer industries. More demand from hardware shops means more demand for steel and planks from hardware factories and thus also more demand from steel mills for iron ore and coal.

And transporting bulk coal and iron ore to steel mills are - in my experience - the 2nd best profitable freight transport routes. Most profitable of course is supplying a builders' yard.

jamespetts

I have now looked into this: you do, in fact, get money when you connect electricity to towns. However, in your example, you were in the year 1900, so very few people had electricity connected to their homes, and those who did used it only for lighting, so you had a very small revenue for electricity consumption. Because of the way in which the electricity code works, it will only credit you with money when you reach 2.00 SimuCents of electricity delivered, so you only see the revenue very infrequently.

However, there was a bug with the display of a city's power demand when it was very low, making it appear 100 times greater than it actually was: this has now been fixed.

It is worth considering whether the revenue for delivering power is too low, although it should be noted that the player's revenue is just for distributing, not generating, power.

If anyone has any accurate figures on this, that would be very helpful.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

accord2