News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

SpaceX twin booster landing

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, February 09, 2018, 07:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

This is the most amazing video of the boosters I've seen. This is truly amazing, surreal..... I feel at a loss for words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

It's even tangentially possibly Simutrans related since one of the goals for the BFR project coming next is to transport people quickly around the globe.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on February 09, 2018, 07:25:32 AM
It's even tangentially possibly Simutrans related since one of the goals for the BFR project coming next is to transport people quickly around the globe.
(QUICK! Someone repaint a plane into a Big F-ing Rocket!)

Ters

Of all the things they did during the launch, such as the car, the driver, the music and the live feeds, the one thing that seems to impress people the most, is the simultaneous landing of the boosters.

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on February 09, 2018, 07:25:32 AM
Actually an "old" idea from the US Marines.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I think everything about the project is amazing, but watching those boosters successfully land side-by-side LIVE was just... amazing. It was already awesome to see the FH go up just a couple of minutes before. heh. But even after seeing them land them before, TWO of them.... just... amazing.

The car was awesome - but it could have been concrete. Although the fact that it wasn't a perfectly balanced load was impressive. It was honestly cool, though. And the music, the driver, the "Don't Panic" reference to Hitchhiker's......

But yes, I firmly admit - the initial launch was secondary in "awesome" to the boosters landing. A close second! But secondary. :)

Ters

They almost promised us a spectacular failure, though, and haven't delivered even a video of the core crashing. (The only visible failure was delivering the same booster video feed twice during the live feed.)

uci

SpaceX deserves a tourist attraction in Simutrans (I would prefer pak128  :) ).

Lewis

Ters, Just imagine a the core slamming into the ocean at 300 mph. To be fair the cameras where probably destroyed from the force of the impact just 100 meters away.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I read that the impact took out two of the barge's engines.

But I know they also had ships around there somewhere, and surely they were recording from them. I'd think so, anyway.

And they're normally transparent about the failures, so I don't know why they haven't released whatever video surely exists.

But maybe at some point. Or maybe there's a good reason they haven't.

Lewis

After doing a bit of research ive found an interview with Elon saying if they can get the footage they'll upload it. However I also found a video showing the cameras and the feed perfectly fine after the accident. Like you say some has footage of it landing. I wonder what there hiding?