News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Way wear

Started by Vladki, February 25, 2018, 05:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

I have a question about way wear. I'm not sure how it should be specified.

I want to differentiate the wear caused by railway engines according to their wheel arrangement. Co-Co (0-6-6-0) is causing significantly higher wear than Bo-Bo (0-4-4-0), even if the axle load is the same.

Lets have a ČSD class 350 "gorilla":
- weight = 88t,
- axles = 4 (Bo-Bo),
- axle_load = 22t (will be calculated automatically)
- way_wear_factor = 22/8*10000=27500 (will be calculated automatically ?)

And class 781 "sergej"/"taiga drum" - let's say it wears the track (in curves) 1.25 times faster than Bo-Bo
- weight = 116t
- axles = 6 (Co-Co)
- axle_load = 19.3 t (either calculated or manually set to 20t)
- way_wear_factor = 116/6/8*10000*1.25 = 30208
So do I have to do the whole calculation and specify way_wear_factor = 30208, or just set 1.25 and the rest will be calculated?

jamespetts

The way_wear_factor is by default (i.e., if not specified in the .dat file) calculated automatically based on the weight and the specified number of axles (axles =, which itself has a default value of 2).

However, you can override this automatic calculation completely by specifying manually a way_wear_factor=, and then that specific number will be used, and there will be no automatic calculation of the way wear factor at all. That number is the number that is subtracted from a way's wear capacity every time that the vehicle in question passes over it.

One easy way of calculating this is to compile the pakset without specifying way_wear_factor for your vehicles, and then, if you want to apply a multiplier to some, just find the way wear factor as specified in the depot window, multiply it by your chosen factor using a calculator, and put the resulting value into the .dat files.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.