News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

general survey on the players play Simutrans

Started by Frank, November 28, 2008, 06:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

over 100 participants have been achieved

Interested members who wish to display the survey in their own language is the translation file attached.

An_dz

Quote from: Frank on August 23, 2010, 02:00:26 PM
Interested members who wish to display the survey in their own language is the translation file attached.

OK Frank, I've translated it to portuguese.

vilvoh

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Zeno

vilvoh

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

An_dz

Wow, at least 6 girls playing the game. ;D
Come on girls show your women power, spread Simutrans :D

Lets start a 2011 one?

sdog

perhaps we should spread the news it's not all about trains and trucks, but with some pack sets they could also play with horses! ;-)

skreyola

Someone needs to make a pack of all pretty horses... that go fast. ;) 40mph team of horses, hehe. :)
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Combuijs

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

An_dz

Isaac Eiland-Hall

sdog

in this stage the poll has in its results mostly people who:
know simutrans perfectly, do so for a long time, are old, and don't actually play it :-)
devotees to the front!

Sarlock

And visit the forums multiple times a day and see this first :)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

ӔO

screen sizes and resolution are quite chaotic, yep :D

I fully expected these sizes to be popular:

PC: 22~24"
laptop: 15.4"

and these resolutions
1366x768
1920x1080
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Zeno

Absolutely. For statistics lovers, there are at the moment 3 variants of 22" monitors and 2 of 24". To say nothing about some strange resolutions such as 192x1200, etc. :P

Frank

do not panic because these two questions and their results

I need to provide some information only once to meaningful options

sdog

at the end the result of that poll is: "every user uses some kind of display device"

i wonder what the 15 foot display is

IgorEliezer

Quote from: sdog on February 28, 2013, 05:06:48 AM
i wonder what the 15 foot display is
Probably someone plays Simutrans in their particular movie theater.

Combuijs

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Spenk009

Many people on small-ish screen resolutions. Don't you get cramped? I get a bit claustrophobic on 1920x1080 if I cram the map in too.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

My new¹ laptop has a screen resolution os 1366x768. It drives me batty. But it was all I could afford.

Ters

It's interresting that vertical space hasn't increased much in the last 15 years, until quite recently when 4K appeared (along with other super-HD resolutions). I don't find 1920x1080 cramped as long as I keep just 4 windows open, or map plus one other window, which I only exceed in rare cases. For the world view alone, pak128 would naturally show less of the world in 1920x1080 than pak64 does on 1024x768.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I blame LCDs for that. Some good things about them, but at one point, I had dual-CRTs each running at 2048x1536. I miss that very much.

With LCDs, and the growing proportion of laptops, it set back resolution growth, I think. :)

Ters

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on April 15, 2015, 07:02:20 PM
[...] at one point, I had dual-CRTs each running at 2048x1536.

For that, I'd have to buy another desk to place the mouse and keyboard on. (But in the CRT days, computer desks had drawers of sorts for the keyboard and mouse.)

But I do wonder if Simutrans is readable in 4K. I've just learned that a piece of software I've worked on becomes unreadable in such resolutions, like all such Java applications apparently. (Unless you sit as close to a 40" as you would a 20" I guess.)

sdog

I cann't really see a point in resolutions beyond 1920x1080 for notebooks. When crawling into the display, so to say, I can only see individual pixels on the new 12" or 13" 1080 hd screen because I'm so myopic. But those high resolutions drain batteries quite quickly. In the end it is for most applications more important to have a notebook that uses 6W rather than 7W under light load.

On the desktop it just drives up screen sizes: I'm not so sure if it is so good to sit right in front of a screen that is a metre wide.

DrSuperGood

QuoteBut those high resolutions drain batteries quite quickly.
The resolution itself does not drain the battery for reasons you said, rather what is being displayed does (or how it is produced). In the case of Simutrans with its software render then display area in pixels converts directly to processor load and so energy consumption.

For most applications however (eg browsing or looking at file managers) a discrete GPU (or integrated) will barely be loaded at all. As such the power consumption increase from the resolution is minimal. The same can be said about the CPU (Simutran's problem) where anything that loads it heavily causes a sharp increase in power.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: sdog on April 15, 2015, 08:32:38 PM
I cann't really see a point in resolutions beyond 1920x1080 for notebooks.

I'm sure that's true for many, but I use my Kindle Fire with its high DPI and am fine fitting a lot on there for the size. If I had a larger monitor that pixel dense... I'd be fine with that, too. I crave more pixels. Always more pixels.

sdog

Quote from: DrSuperGood on April 15, 2015, 09:23:00 PM
The resolution itself does not drain the battery for reasons you said, rather what is being displayed does (or how it is produced). In the case of Simutrans with its software render then display area in pixels converts directly to processor load and so energy consumption.

Exactly that.

But also when the computer idles, to be able to provide stutter free, say 4k, video, and simple 3d all must be able to handle greater peaks, which limits power saving through undervolting, increases leak currents due to larger dies, requires larger heatsink areas, greater max currents from batteries. When dealing with baseline power of a few Watt this matters.*

*My outdated notebook has a baseline power of 8 to 9 W, measured with powertop. My wive's new notebook must be considerably more parsimonious, perhaps in the few Watt range. If the manufacturers claims are correct, 5.6 W under load, for playing HD video (45 Wh/8h).

Ters

I can only see individual pixels

You're not supposed to see individual pixels. That's the point of high-res.

I'm not so sure if it is so good to sit right in front of a screen that is a metre wide.

I remember when we used to look at desks. Those usually were, and still are, wider than that. Often much wider. Sure, one tended to focus on just one part, but I guess that's the idea with big screens as well.