News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Building corn fields for grain factories

Started by MirceaKitsune, October 02, 2017, 08:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MirceaKitsune

Grain Farms usually spawn surrounded by a lot of crop fields, which are tiles where corn seems to grow and which are connected to the factory itself. I assume that the more a farm has, the faster it produces.

Is there a way for the player to spawn more of them for a farm, or will farms produce more on their own over time? Some farms spawn in with little or no fields due to the terrain, and I'd like to fix that so I can make them more productive. I leveled the nearby terrain to allow more to spawn around the farm, by flattening it to the height of the factory as it apparently needs to be. However nothing has happened automatically so far, whereas I'm not seeing any special construction tools to plant extra fields for grain factories.

prissi

Farms have also a maximum field number (I think it is 25 for this one). So it will not grow further.

MirceaKitsune

Quote from: prissi on October 03, 2017, 01:03:05 AM
Farms have also a maximum field number (I think it is 25 for this one). So it will not grow further.

Good to know. I tried with another one that spawned with far less, but that didn't grow new ones either. I take it they should normally grow?

Ters

They grow, but I doubt they grow without a purpose. Someone should need that extra grain.

Leartin

I think the growth does not happen based on extra grain requirements, but based on production. So only a working farm can expand, and indirectly, it will expand quicker the more fields it already has, since it produces more. Giving factories with fields additional fields when a new consumer connects to it might be a nice idea though.

I was thinking of the normal expansion. Fields are different.

MirceaKitsune

Quote from: Ters on October 03, 2017, 05:19:46 AM
They grow, but I doubt they grow without a purpose. Someone should need that extra grain.

One of my trains is bleeding that grain farm dry. Still it didn't grow any extra fields in several months, after I leveled the terrain to the factory and made sure the tiles are clear (no trees). Those tiles are even near existing fields of the factory, in case crops are supposed to spread.

Leartin

Quote from: MirceaKitsune on October 03, 2017, 12:30:30 PM
One of my trains is bleeding that grain farm dry. Still it didn't grow any extra fields in several months, after I leveled the terrain to the factory and made sure the tiles are clear (no trees). Those tiles are even near existing fields of the factory, in case crops are supposed to spread.

Please be a bit more patient. Simutrans is a long-term game, and a few month means nothing. Furthermore, as Ters explained, fields grow if they are needed. You play Beginners mode, so my guess is the place you deliver them to is filled with grain to the chimney top - meaning there is no real need, you just transport "too much".

MirceaKitsune

Quote from: Leartin on October 03, 2017, 12:38:02 PM
Please be a bit more patient. Simutrans is a long-term game, and a few month means nothing. Furthermore, as Ters explained, fields grow if they are needed. You play Beginners mode, so my guess is the place you deliver them to is filled with grain to the chimney top - meaning there is no real need, you just transport "too much".

Got it then. Thanks!