News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

(nightly) How can I avoid random lake creation ?

Started by z9999+, August 15, 2013, 02:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z9999+

In nightly, how can I avoid random lake creation when creating a new map ?
I think the people who start a new game with real height map don't want random lakes which are not exist on height map.

We can already control number of river and length of rivers.
Lake also needs to be controlled by settings.

kierongreen

Random lake generation has been in since double heights were added, algorithm was just changed lately. I am planning more options in gui  - in fact I want to completely overhaul new world/landscape dialogues as there's lots of numbers which may or may not make sense to people.

Although have to say heightmaps I've used in testing have mostly generate lakes in sensible places surprisingly on maps which weren't originally intended for them...

Ters

Realistically, every depression would contain a lake (although perhaps a dry or seasonal one depending on climate). The challenge is that the grid in Simutrans is too coarse to represent narrow outlets.

kierongreen

Indeed - turning roughness down makes for much more realistic lakes on maps. Anyway, added a quick option in the gui to disable lakes for now. Note that you'll have to set this every time you start simutrans as it's not saved yet. Once we've worked out proper future plans for climates/water on maps we'll need all those settings to be saved.