News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Setting up experimental server

Started by killwater, July 17, 2016, 11:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killwater

Hello
As it looks like it is now possible to run a somewhat stable server I would like to give it a try.
I  plan to buy the following VPS:
VPS SSD 1
https://www.ovh.co.uk/vps/vps-ssd.xml

Is it good enough for a rather large map?

As I understand it will be running Linux distro so I am going to need a Linux version of experimental - in a different thread there is this link:
http://server.exp.simutrans.com/
Are those files enough to set up a server or do I have to compile it myself?

Junna

Depends how much "rather large" is? The RAM would probably be the first thing to run out. I assume running it without graphics as a dedicated hosting thing saves some ram compared to the game though...

Those files are not entirely up to date, but they would work. But I think the dedicated server thing is compiled separately? I've never used it. I just run the server conventionally.

killwater

I was thinking about circa 2000x1500.

DrSuperGood

As far as I know, the experimental listing server still does not work. As such only people with the same revision and manually entering the server's IP address could connect to it.

Vladki

You can use the files from http://server.exp.simutrans.com/ - the two zip files contain everything you need to set up a server, including 64-bit linux binary (for headless server). However that binary is a bit old, and not of the same revision as the separately available client (GUI) binaries. I can provide the compiled server binary when I update this server, but bear in mind that I do that only occasionally. I recommend compiling your own version from sources.

Vladki

Experimental server is updated, pakset not modified. Server binary for 64-bit Linux added to the website as well.

killwater

I created a map with the size of 7000x2000 that would be just about right for my server and it takes about 1.4GB of RAM. Save file is about 15MB. Are those values likely to go up as game is making progress? I would like to have about 30% of the map as deep water - does it help?

This values are on my PC in graphic mode.

jamespetts

The memory usage definitely goes up as the game progresses: normally, the transport infrastructure takes the majority of memory, memory bandwidth and CPU time in a well developed game, so, if your map is other than very sparse, memory consumption, memory bandwidth and CPU time will eventually be multiples of what it is now.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

killwater

Thank you for the answer. Do you remember how much memory did the big online experimental game took? It was about a year ago and map was quite sizeable. Also what was the map size and server specs?

jamespetts

I cannot recall exactly now; it was perhaps circa 2Gb of memory. The server is a virtual server with one core and I think 3Gb of RAM available, if I recall correctly. The server should still be running, so you should be able to download the saved game and see for yourself.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

testing server was updated to last version from git.