News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Seasons.

Started by HarrierST, November 08, 2017, 03:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrierST

Are Seasons just graphic cosmetic fluff?  Or do they adjust the rate of travel of vehicles (winter /summer)?

DrSuperGood

Just graphic cosmetic fluff. They do not alter the amount of goods, passengers or mail produced and do not alter the physics of convoys.

jamespetts

I should like one day to implement in Simutrans-Extended a system whereby rates of passenger and goods generation and demand from certain buildings vary with the seasons, and where vehicle schedules can also change between the seasons to match, but that is currently a rather low priority and there is a long queue of higher priority, balance critical work to complete first.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Leartin

I'd like to see such a system as well - personally, I'd do it by setting a percentage for each month. Though I'd be more interested to do it with tourist attractions than with factories.

jamespetts

Quote from: Leartin on November 08, 2017, 02:56:12 PM
I'd like to see such a system as well - personally, I'd do it by setting a percentage for each month. Though I'd be more interested to do it with tourist attractions than with factories.

Tourist attractions are the most obvious candidates, but no doubt some industries (e.g. fishing, agriculture) are seasonal to some extent, too, and the same may apply to certain town buildings.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Vladki

What about greatly reduced braking ability of vehicles above snowline?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

jamespetts

Quote from: Vladki on November 08, 2017, 04:24:35 PM
What about greatly reduced braking ability of vehicles above snowline?

Technically, I cannot see any reason that that could not be implemented relatively easily - but it would only be workable in circumstances where the player could set different timetables for different seasons, and that would require much more work.

However, I have doubts that reduced braking ability is uniform in these circumstances, so doing this in a way that balances realistically might be impossible.

Ves

Quote from: jamespetts on November 08, 2017, 04:29:49 PM
Technically, I cannot see any reason that that could not be implemented relatively easily - but it would only be workable in circumstances where the player could set different timetables for different seasons, and that would require much more work.

However, I have doubts that reduced braking ability is uniform in these circumstances, so doing this in a way that balances realistically might be impossible.
Well, here in Denmark, Autumn = leafes on the track = delayes. Every year. Thats a fact...  ;D

jamespetts

Quote from: Ves on November 08, 2017, 04:44:17 PM
Well, here in Denmark, Autumn = leafes on the track = delayes. Every year. Thats a fact...  ;D

It is similar here, too - except that this was not so in the days of steam trains, where embankments were kept clear of all trees so as to prevent lineside fires.

el_slapper

Quote from: Ves on November 08, 2017, 04:44:17 PM

Same in the Parisian area. Especially on the H line, between Mery-sur-Oise & Meriél. There is a lower part, surrounded by trees. Trains can't go up anymore and exit from there. It's hell from September to December. There

Leartin

In coldest winter, it happens quite often that the electrification breaks down in some areas, and diesel locomotives will carry elektric trains over it.
On the ofther hand, rail construction happens more often in summer, and slows down traffic considerably.

I wonder how far this can go without falling in the same vein as 'catastrophies', deemed unfit for Simutrans.
Or is that how 'catastrophies' were possible, by having no effects that can cause deadlocks and need immediate attention and will solve themself after a while, but can be planned around to be save?

jamespetts

I suspect that implementing the effect of seasons on the movement of vehicles, rather than production and demand, is not likely to be viable.

Ves

Well, somehow the vehicles keeps their constant delays with their own seasons:
Autumn: leafs on tracks
Winter: frozen points
Spring: signal problems
Summer: track-work

So they are always delayed! ?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

So all we need to do is implement random week or two-week periods of time with a small boost to speeds to simulate the few times when the seasons and construction and such is NOT affecting things, and it'll be good! :)

prissi

I have never heard of "leaves on the track" as excuse for delay in Germany, while for instance Berlin is surrounded by ten of kms of forest. I always though somebody was pulling my strings, before I actually liven in the UK. They even have TV advertisements for this. But honestly, I did not found much difference in tardiness compared to other seasons ...

But then, in direct comparison, the UK almost felt like a agriculture desert, at least for East Anglia ... (And trains were late for any reasons, my favorite "the wrong type of snow" [we had sleet], or "loosing our driver" in a snowsotrm on a track outside Gatwick airport [and aparently they found him 10 minutes later], or "driver missed station due to fog" where he indeed passed through a scheduled stop, to brake 500 m later; but it was the first morning train with a beautiful sunrise).

At one dau I want to see the official calendar "1000 random reasons for delay". The conductor reads the top one, and then rips it off to be ready for the next one.

But now I live in Japan, and the only delays are from sucides in the undergound.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quotepulling my strings

Just a quick off-topic note - unless it's used that way elsewhere - "pulling my leg" means "joking with me" or "trying to get me to believe something untrue"; "pulling my strings" means "trying to control or manipulate me". :)