News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

pak128 Server Test

Started by moblet, December 26, 2014, 01:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moblet

This is a test game from a Linux server. I've forgotten the little I once knew about using Linux so will be learning as I go.

I am unable to connect to this server online from my Win 7 PC as Simutrans claims that it is a mismatched server, despite both executable versions being r7373 and the pakset being identical. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue and does anyone have any clues as to how to fix it?

DrSuperGood

Server is not responding for me.

QuoteI am unable to connect to this server online from my Win 7 PC as Simutrans claims that it is a mismatched server, despite both executable versions being r7373 and the pakset being identical. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue and does anyone have any clues as to how to fix it?
If your Window's system is using a self-build MSVC build then this is a bug with the checksum generation for goods that has been (or should be) fixed in nightly. Uninitialized variables are bad...

moblet

Updated a router setting and the server now responds to me. Try your luck now.

I can now join the game but the server still lists as mismatched.

DrSuperGood

Connect perfectly, no mismatch reported using Windows.

moblet

Excellent, thank you. I shall terminate this experiment now and start a game once I have a suitable map.

DrSuperGood

Would it be possible if you could try JIT2 industry model from nightly out? I have yet to see it in action on a server game. It might not even work as there are intermittent issues loading save games using it at the moment due to a lack of incremented version number (try it, if it does not work easily then fall back to release 120.0.1).

As for the map I would not recommend something too big as those games tend to end up feeling rather empty. Additionally you could add certain rule based construction restrictions such as "no bridging" to certain islands etc as those can make things more interesting (Fifty's server last Christmas used them). I would also advise restricting aircraft to prevent what I did on one of Fifty's summer servers earlier this year (huge freight plane empire). If passenger planes are allowed you might wish to restrict the use of the Concord as I recall that plane being notorious for making people's bank explode with cash for very little work (it has an insane profit per unit per tile at time of first availability).

moblet

I'm happy to run JIT2 or anything for testing purposes between games (e.g. right now). I'll need you to link me to JIT2 because I don't know where it is - I tried searching the forum for it without success. For regular games I want to use a stable version with stable availability.

I'm in the process of working with @Fifty to choose a map and rules. Three years ago @Fifty and I ran the first online games with rules and administrators, some with defined territories for each player. The first game will not be too complicated but will have a set of rules and administrator(s).

DrSuperGood

QuoteI'm happy to run JIT2 or anything for testing purposes between games (e.g. right now). I'll need you to link me to JIT2 because I don't know where it is - I tried searching the forum for it without success. For regular games I want to use a stable version with stable availability.
It is in all recent nightlies (it was added pretty much after 120.0.1 was released. As I said I am not sure if it even works in multiplayer due to it needing a version increment (which only happens at releases. It can be configured under economy (instead of a checkbox it uses a field where 0 is no flow control, 1 is classic flow control and 2 is the new JIT2 flow control). The idea behind it is to prevent industries from over-ordering and instead ordering in a continuous flow. Here is the discussion of the feature from concept stage through to implementation.

moblet

I just downloaded the latest nightly and just_in_time is a checkbox, not a numerical field.

DrSuperGood

You might need to start with "-server" according to prissi. Additionally you can set your simuconf.tab to contain "just_in_time = 2" instead of "just_in_time = 1".

moblet

Changing simuconf.tab suits me. Game is up as "JIT2 Test (Nightly r7437)" but I'm a bit confused because the game identifies itself as r7373. I don't normally run nightlies - is this normal for a nightly?

DrSuperGood

QuoteChanging simuconf.tab suits me. Game is up as "JIT2 Test (Nightly r7437)" but I'm a bit confused because the game identifies itself as r7373. I don't normally run nightlies - is this normal for a nightly?
It should mention the nightly revision number and the word "Nightly" on the title screen. I am not sure how it should look from the console for server builds. Will test in a bit.

moblet

Fixed now. I accidentally extracted the wrong executable after downloading the nightly.

DrSuperGood

Game appears to be JIT1 as demand counters are missing. I have attached a screen shot of how the industries should look in JIT2 mode ("storage/maximum : intransit (+demand buffer)").

Do not let this delay starting your server, I might just run some private tests and thought that if it worked people might like to try the feature.

moblet

simuconf.tab has just_in_time = 2 Was anything else required?

DrSuperGood

It needs to actually use just_in_time = 2 however (as it supports 1 for backwards compatibility). For some reason it is in "just_in_time = 1" mode. It just might not be possible to reliably do with a server currently.

I ran a local test server reasonably successfully with JIT2 mode so it seems at least partly working in multiplayer. I am not sure about saving and loading however.

It is a pretty major revision of how industries order products. Specifically industries never stop ordering instead they order what they need as they need it. This means that your convoys should stop moving less in the case of an over supplied factory. It also means you do not need to worry much about parking convoys as goods will always be flowing in a line. It also solves some illogicality with power (now each unit of product has a factory determined power cost so less production means less power used) and makes overflowing factory input bad (since factories will try not to order more than they can hold). For anyone who likes specializing in freight it probably would be pretty good.

moblet

Try again now. I created a new map.

DrSuperGood

Nope its not working... I need to mess around with my own servers some more to understand it.

moblet