News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

author of power plant?

Started by agamemnus, February 19, 2009, 12:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agamemnus

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me who the author of the power plant is and what the license for the image is?

PatrickN

Which power plant?  I made an oil power plant.  I don't think the coal power plant I modified is still used, but I don't remember for sure.

Painter, in and out of retirement.

agamemnus

Attached. (I changed the background terrain)

(And I am hereby releasing this into the public domain if the original was in the public domain, or under the same license as the original if this is not possible.)

vilvoh

It's from Rojo (formerly Raven) and If I'm not wrong he donated all his work to the community, so all his stuff is public domain. You have more images at graphics.simutrans.com (Raven's gallery, Vilvoh's Raven gallery)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

Why downsized to 2x2?

(Nothing against that, just wondering...)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

As far as I remember it's from the archive (old forum), and I thought It was hosted at graphics.simutrans.com....anyway, the original image had the right size.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

agamemnus

I still can't find the power plant anywhere in those galleries... help?

Quote from: VS on February 19, 2009, 11:03:27 AM
Why downsized to 2x2?

(Nothing against that, just wondering...)

I didn't realize I had downsized it. I just cut it out from the first powerplant on a map I could find. I'll make a bigger version, and I'll try to add shadows too.

Edit: Attached! I had to do some surgery to make it attachable. If anyone would like me to attach the individual layers (power plant, back brown texture, grass, trees/shrubs, small lake, shadow), I can do that, too.

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

agamemnus

No one likes my power plant enough to replace the old one?  :(

PS: I'm not sure if the entire thing needs to be inside the tile size width/height, or if the shadow can stick out. If it can't, I can adjust the grass to the right to cover the shadow.

VS

Erm. The image I linked there is 640*640, with both the whole graphic and cut pieces actually used in game. You attached first something too small (screenshot in zoomed out view?), then something too big :-\

It's not that I would not like what you did, but rather that you did not show anything that would work! We need 1:1 matching pixels, or information is lost in blur, regardless if bigger or smaller.

Soooo... sorry, but you aren't there yet.

You may also want to consider that the building appears on various terrains and should not look completely out of place. Green grass around is not bad per se, but grass different from landscape looks bad, and climates are distinguished by different colour of grass. So you must have some sort of transition that makes sense. It's fine to say that the company waters the lawn (unlike countryside) and so it is more lush, but just filling the tiles with green does not do the job.

agamemnus

Quote from: VS on February 20, 2009, 06:47:59 PM
Erm. The image I linked there is 640*640, with both the whole graphic and cut pieces actually used in game. You attached first something too small (screenshot in zoomed out view?), then something too big :-\

Lol. Ok, I see now.

You may also want to consider that the building appears on various terrains and should not look completely out of place. Green grass around is not bad per se, but grass different from landscape looks bad, and climates are distinguished by different colour of grass. So you must have some sort of transition that makes sense. It's fine to say that the company waters the lawn (unlike countryside) and so it is more lush, but just filling the tiles with green does not do the job.

Well, should I make different tree/terrain overlays for different weather conditions then? I could do that, I think... the snow might be a tough one...

And one more question... is transparency possible in simutrans? That shadow is 70% or something transparent.

VS

Transparency is only gif-like (on/off), with key e7ffff or 231,255,255 - the light blue background.

Climates, well, the trick is making transparent holes in ground where you can see through. That's why I mentioned that the "local" grass should have some kind of border. Where it meets the normal ground (under) it would look strange. And since you can not make more than two images (normal/snow)... there is just one grass bordering on more grasses. Hope you can understand me, I'm not sure if this is clear enough.

agamemnus

Quote from: VS on February 20, 2009, 10:41:36 PM
Transparency is only gif-like (on/off), with key e7ffff or 231,255,255 - the light blue background.

Climates, well, the trick is making transparent holes in ground where you can see through. That's why I mentioned that the "local" grass should have some kind of border. Where it meets the normal ground it would look strange. And since you can not make more than two images (normal/snow)...

Aha. Too bad about the transparency. . .

agamemnus

Hmm, those old PNGs are now corrupted for some reason.

Here is a PSD file of my version of the power plant as I left it in 2009. Anyone is free to modify it or make it work for pak128 -- released into public domain. (1.39MB)

http://www.flyingsoft.phatcode.net/papers/extra%20pictures/building-power%20plant large.psd

VS

Nicely done :) There are two major problems regarding reuse in pak128, though:
1) you used resized original
2) adding ground "locks" a building onto current ground texture and single climate