News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

City Curiosities in Pak64

Started by cato58, March 10, 2018, 01:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cato58

I just added a bunch of city curiosities to my pak 64 game.  But it seems like they will only spawn in new cities that I build.

I would like to get a general understanding of how city curiosities spawn.  Is it similar to the factory growth, triggered by population?

What role does the Level=## in the curosity dat file play.  Is it even relevant?

Thanks!

Ters

Not quite like factory growth, as there is a specific population trigger and a probability factor. (I'm assuming here that these fields are not some relics.) A city will at most have one attraction of a given type. I also assume that, like I've observed for city halls, if the population trigger is passed before the building is available, it will never appear in that city (except by player intervention).

The levels dictate how much passenger and mail traffic the building generates.

Frank

The parameters Passengers or level with places of interest (cur), monuments (mon) and city halls (tow)

The parameter build_time

If there are several with the same construction time, then the parameter chance affects the selection of what is actually being built.

Settings in the DAT files of buildings

And the climate can also play a role.
Quoteclimates    What climate zone this building will appear in (see Climate zones)

cato58

Thanks for your replies.

In my mind, I was thinking that Level would be the parameter to trigger when a curiosity could be built, population wise.  For example, a level 20 curiosity could be built when the population of a city hits 20,000.  It seems, though, that there is an internal mechanism to spawn curiosities and there is nothing in the dat files that would allow you to control that (outside of intro date).

Ters

Quote from: cato58 on March 10, 2018, 04:15:49 PM
It seems, though, that there is an internal mechanism to spawn curiosities and there is nothing in the dat files that would allow you to control that (outside of intro date).

Strange, considering that both myself and Frank has stated otherwise. The page Frank links to for the build_time parameter is a bit unclear as to whether it applies to monuments, curiosities and town halls, or just the latter two, though. A check in the code shows that it applies to attractions (cur) and town halls (tow).

cato58

My mistake!  I had wrote off build time as some sort of animation control.  This is great.

Thanks again!