News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Not Responding on New Map

Started by Nuben Kinder, February 20, 2017, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuben Kinder

I'm absolutely new to simutrans-extended.. i've been playing the Simutrans Standard on Steam, but thought it might be better to try Simutrans-Extended.

One problem, I cannot start a new map with certain settings. If I try a smaller map with less cities, I can play, but once I reach a certain size, I get stuck on initialising map. Any help? Should I download a different version? I've been able to play on these sized maps on the Standard edition, so I don't see why it would be a problem on Extended. Thanks for the help in advance!

jamespetts

Hello, and welcome to the forums! Thank you for your interest in Simutrans-Extended, and sorry that you are having trouble.

One thing to look out for in map creation is the number of rivers: if you are trying to generate too many rivers in a very large map, this can bog down the computer and make map generation take a very long time. You can customise the number of rivers using the climate settings in the new game dialogue.

Do let me know if reducing the number of rivers fixes your problem. If it doesn't, then this might be a bug that I will have to look into fixing.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Nuben Kinder

Thank you for the super quick response! Unfortunately, it didn't work. Here are the setting I'm using:

2048x2048
Cities: 128
Big Cities: 2
City Clusters: 0
Median Pop: 24000
Road Length: 9999
Industries: 96
Public buildings: 256
Timeline: 1930

Only change to settings was to river number (which was auto 128) to 24.

jamespetts

That is a rather high city population that you are specifying; may I ask how long that you are leaving it to generate and what your system specifications are?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Tjoeker

The road length seems a bit long, especially on this mapsize..
I'd adjust it to 500 (which is still long imo), maybe even consider 200-300.

The reason it works on standard but not in extended is because extended takes more parameters in account.
For example:
Cities like to be nearby water
Cities like to be close to each other (ok, you have city clusters of, so this won't apply in your game)
(I think:) Cities avoid height changes?

Nuben Kinder

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Intel Core i6700 @ 4 GHZ Quad Core
16 GB RAM

And I'm waiting about 10 minutes...

I tried lowering it a bit as you guys suggested, and it's still being a pain. I guess I'll just need to shrink my mapsize a bit so I can play?

jamespetts

You should be able to play with larger maps with those specifications. When you write that you have lowered it a bit, can you give details of to what you have lowered it?

Nuben Kinder

Hello, and thank you again for your quick response!

2048x2048

96 cities
1 big city
0 clusters
8000 median pop
200 inter city roads
96 industries
256 public buildings

And down to 20 rivers.

Tjoeker

My laptop has about the same specs as your laptop/pc.
I tested these settings.
It takes very long to create the map, but if you adjust the median pop to 1000, it finishes almost in a second.
So I suggest you lower the population even further. (if you really want big cities, you could adjust it ingame using the public player tool)

jamespetts

Running a profiler on this, it seems that huge amounts of time are taken generating the cities. The difficulty is, I suspect, that I am in the process of switching to a new way of measuring population, but work on improving the city generation has been suspended for the time being because of the need to do other things in priority.

May I suggest in the meantime using a lower median population, especially if you are starting the game in earlier times (i.e. pre-20th century) without high density buildings? Most of the CPU time is spent trying to find suitable places to put buildings when generating a new map with lots of large cities. You should get realistic cities for the time in 1750 with the default value of 1,600 or lower.