News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Standard features not supported in Extended

Started by jamespetts, December 12, 2015, 04:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

For players' reference, I thought that it might be helpful briefly to list some features present in Standard that, for various reasons, are not supported (or work only partially) in Simutrans-Extended. They are as follows:

(1) AI players;
(2) scenario scripting (the Squirrel API);
(3) the GUI theming (this is now partly supported);
(4) the new "just in time" ("JIT 2") industry supply system; and
(5) the "no routing over overcrowded" option.

(4) and (5) are not supported because they are not consistent with the way in which Extended works. There may be other features in this category not listed here.

(1), (2) and (3) are of more significance: these are not supported because I cannot afford the time necessary to integrate these features with the way in which Simutrans-Extended works (I could in theory do these things, but it would take a very long time, and there is a very large list of things of much higher priority). The code (1) and (2) is still present, but is often not fully updated and does work properly or at all.

None of this second category of missing features is something that I consider to be of high priority (the main focus of my development of Experimental being large online games, to which AI and scenario scripting is not relevant), although the GUI themes are of medium priority (and there is now a partial implementation of these).

It would be splendid if anyone were interested in integrating these things properly into Simutrans-Extended. The scenario scripting and GUI themes are likely to be worthwhile, but I have doubts that any workable AI that can interact with all of the Simutrans-Extended parameters in a useful way could be crafted in anything approaching a reasonable time (although if any extremely skilled and dedicated programmer would like to give it a try, I shall not stand in her/his way).

Edit: Modified the above post to refer to the new name of "Simutrans-Extended".
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

HarrierST

Quote from: jamespetts on December 12, 2015, 04:28:35 PM
For players' reference, I thought that it might be helpful briefly to list some features present in Standard that, for various reasons, are not supported (or work only partially) in Experimental.

None of this second category of missing features is something that I consider to be of high priority (the main focus of my development of Experimental being large online games, to which AI and scenario scripting is not relevant), although the GUI themes are of medium priority.

I am new to this site, still playing my first game (for about 2 months, when I have the time.) on Pak64 - only 15 game years in.

As a solo player, once I had learned the basics (not even built an airport, dock, tramway, underground etc. yet, still trying to understand train signals. {Why do trains reverse instead of stopping?!}). -  but I was looking forward to playing pak128 Experimental Britian, eventually, having read the 2 year old posting about the differences between it and standard.

Was about to post about what has changed in the intervening 2 years. So was sad to read it is now for online games only. 

DrSuperGood

Both experimental and standard support both singleplayer and multiplayer.

JIT industry models in general are not in experimental because a different cargo regulation system is in use which should achieve something similar but using features that are not available in standard (journey lengths).

jamespetts

Harrier - I think that you misunderstand what I wrote. Experimental is not for online games only. Single player mode is certainly supported, and a lot of people play it in single player mode. What is not supported are AI players and scenario scripting. Those would take a vast amount of time and effort to make work with Experimental (and even in Standard, the AI players are very basic indeed), which time would not be as well spent as spending it on other projects that are more useful to large online games, such as improving the game balance.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

HarrierST

Ok - thanks for the reply.

Was tired when I read your post, hence my confusion.

I would not want to play against AI - so no problem there. As for scripting, would probably not play  scenarios?

Can you point me to a thread - which describes the program changes over the last two years, must have overlooked it in my searching.

Thanks

jamespetts

There is no thread that describes the changes over the past two years, as there has not been a release in that time. However, if you look at the Github commit messages in that period, you will get an idea of the changes to Experimental in that time.

Ranran(retired)

FYI, as far as I can think of
Quote from: jamespetts on December 12, 2015, 04:28:35 PMThe code (1) and (2) is still present, but is often not fully updated and does work properly or at all.
The code that currently exists is completely broken and does not work at all. It will take a lot of work to repair it and make it work.
This is because there are a lot of parameter differences between extended and standard and they have to be dealt with separately. These differences that have emerged over the years have to be resolved one by one.

Quote from: jamespetts on December 12, 2015, 04:28:35 PM(3) the GUI theming (this is now partly supported);
This has been supported in extended since December 2020.
However, some GUIs are not yet able to handle font size changes correctly. Especially the ones specific to extended.
They are class management dialogs, depot/replace dialog and change player dialog.

(6) Multi-Tile City Buildings
This feature was introduced to extended in a different way than standard by THLeaderH, but it has been pointed out that it has problems. It has hardly been tested so far because pak128.britain does not have a multi-tiled city building.

(7) Map generation by climate and humidity.
I stumbled upon a conflict regarding the creation of the river.

(8) Android Support
Doubtful that sufficient memory and other requirements can be met...

Any help with these will be appreciated. The work on (6) and (7) was halted halfway though, there are no plans for me to do anything other than (3), at least in the near future... (´・ω・`)
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)